Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ther are three wires going to the horn relay Red, Black, and Pink . There is another that is black that says fuseable link.It also turns red after the link. I do not care if the horns don't work or the key buzzer does not work. I just want power to Dash So everything works and the car starts.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Your positive battery terminal should have two wires attached, typically both are connected to a molded cable terminal. The large cable is routed to the starter the smaller is routed to a junction block. The junction block (J-block) is mounted on the radiator core support between the battery and the radiator. The J-block should have a second, red, wire attached that is routed to the horn relay and is attached under one of the two large screws on the relay. From the factory the wire from the J-block to the horn relay has a soldered junction to another wire. That wire is routed to the alternator output terminal. Your M&H harness should be the same. So now you have the battery the horn relay and the alternator all connected together. Also at the horn relay there should be a wire, with a fusible link, that is routed to the bulkhead connector and on to the fuse block and ignition switch. All the wires that have been discussed are # 10 gauge wire, with the exception of the battery cable to the starter, and are typically red. If you have all connected as stated you should have power at the J-block the horn relay and the fuse block.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Elree
So what you are saying is that I should have three wires connected together. My question is that I installed a one wire alternater. Do I need to hook up the one wire going to the alternater. By the way I have one red wire one that is black that turns red BEFORE the fusable link. So I need to hook up the red to the fusable link. And I should have power. I do not have a wire that goes to the alternater. I checked with my fluke meter and the only wire going to the alternater is with the plug with four wires that hooks up to the regulator. I just want to make sure I don't want to short out a wire if i hook it up wrong.
Thanks Fred

·
Registered
934 Posts
With the way people drive, I wouldn't go anywhere without a working horn!

One week after buying my 72 Chevelle, it's horn didn't work and an old guy ran me right off the road by coming over the line aimed right at me! If I didn't move, whip off the road, it would have been all over for my 'velle. (and maybe even me!)

I had that horn working by the next day I can tell you that!

My advice is fix it right the first time.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I agree, a horn is mandatory!! Can't even pass inspection for registration without it here!!

And my lungs are not what they used to be!!! LOL!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts