Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out if the "new" repro clutch linkage parts I bought are inferior quality, or if I'm just dealing with 60s-70s technologies and tolerances.

My Z-bar, firewall rod, & lower adjusting rod were all pretty worn out on my '70 Malibu. The holes on the Z-bar and shafts on the other linkages were way out of round. So I bought "new" repro parts. When I connect them together, I can't believe the slop and the extra play at the connection points. It's as if the holes are oversized or the shafts are undersized. (I'm talking about where you join the parts and insert the spring clip or cotter pin). I was tempted to add washers to either side of the connections to firm things up, but then was concerned about trapping dirt and causing the parts to wear out faster.

Is this poor fit symptomatic of buying reproduction parts, or is this just typical of the GM parts of that era?

Thanks,
Tom

------------------
TC Member #59
'70 Malibu 350/4speed
'90 John Deere SS165

[This message has been edited by TK-70 (edited 05-30-2001).]

·
Registered
163 Posts
Okay, I'm not an expert here but I may have a solution.

Yes, the slop should be there as far as I know. But, you shouldn't be using cotter pins to fasten the linkage together. There are special clips that take up the slack. These clips are similar (if not identical) to the clips that Hurst provides with their shifters (to clip the rods onto the shifter). I don't know how to describe them, but they are meant to take up the slack.

------------------
1969 Caprice (It's not an Impala darnit!)
427/M-20 Finally!
12-bolt 4.10 Posi
13.45 @ 105

1966 Caprice
396/325 TH-400
15.38 @ 97.4

Andy and Nick's Muscle Car Half-way House

·
Registered
177 Posts
Might try welding the holes up smaller and drilling them back out to size. they do need a little play there so nothing gets bound up. The clips are called Jeasus(spelling) clips becuase when you go to put them in you slip the y go flying across the other side of the garage and you say "Jeasus where it go"

------------------
Tom Donaldson
71' GMC Sprint

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know the spring clips you're talking about. I have one on my lower linkage. Maybe it's just worn out and not doing the job. My upper connection uses a plain old cotter pin, but that doesn't mean it's original. I'll try a pick up a few new clips. That's a good idea.

This still wouldn't compensate for what seems to be size mismatch where the linkages connect. The Z-bar holes just seem to be much larger than necessary. It may be that 30 years ago, these tolerances were "good enough".

Thanks, Tom

------------------
TC Member #59
'70 Malibu 350/4speed
'90 John Deere SS165

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.