Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got one on a trade, originally black/saddle SB 4spd car with buckets, console, tach, 12-bolt 3.31 open, and disc brakes.

Would have been a cool one when new, but lived a rough life... It was partially parted out, (engine, trans, buckets, console, tach are all gone). It does still have the 12-bolt and discs, solid California body, but pretty beat up.

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
I just got one on a trade, originally black/saddle SB 4spd car with buckets, console, tach, 12-bolt 3.31 open, and disc brakes.

Would have been a cool one when new, but lived a rough life... It was partially parted out, (engine, trans, buckets, console, tach are all gone). It does still have the 12-bolt and discs, solid California body, but pretty beat up.

Stick cars are pretty (very?) rare. If it has a solid Calif body and you want to sell it look at The First Generation Monte Carlo Club. I would say that if it was a BBC it qualifies as VERY rare. All the BBC cars are 396/402 cars. There are not supposed to be any 454 BBC cars with sticks. Mostly SBC power but some BBC cars. All that 454 4 Speed stuff is up in the air just like all the rest of the "rare car" speculation in this hobby. There are people that swear there were only 4 454 stick cars and others who swear there were never any 454 powered stick cars.

Check at The First Generation Monte Carlo Club. That site is dedicated to first gen MC cars. Not as deep down in the weeds technically as some of the folks around here but the guys over there do have a great amount of data about the cars / number built / options ....etc. etc/ etc.

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
With a 3.31 rear on a 350 4-speed it would have been an L48 car. An L65 car would have had a 3.36 10-bolt in 4-speed applications.

I would say any 70/71 Monte Carlo with a 4-speed is quite rare. The first one I ever saw in person was a 70 back in 1979, and it still stands as the only one I have seen in person

·
Registered
14,987 Posts
Not a four speed but I got the dash out of a 71 monte 350 3 on the tree bench seat car. Luxury and a clutch pedal. Jim

·
Registered
911 Posts
Derek, sent PM, thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
So THAT'S what is sitting next to your garage. Drove by the other day, but couldn't really tell what it was under the snow (and looking in the rear view mirror).

4-speed body....you shouldn't have any problem selling it.....:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,595 Posts
Dig into that interior and see if you can find paper Derek, any original docs? Great color combo (black/saddle). Agree it should be a sought after car, Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
With a 3.31 rear on a 350 4-speed it would have been an L48 car. An L65 car would have had a 3.36 10-bolt in 4-speed applications.

I would say any 70/71 Monte Carlo with a 4-speed is quite rare. The first one I ever saw in person was a 70 back in 1979, and it still stands as the only one I have seen in person
My Uncle who lived in Dunedin, Fl had a 1970 with a 400 SB 4sp buckets, no console... Kinda a golden tan without vinyl top. I drove it around when I was there in 1975 and asked him if he ever wanted to sell to call.... Yep, you guessed it, never called. Ended up selling to someone who he worked with that wanted something to drive to job sites so they wouldn't ruin their good car.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I had one of those many years ago. Silver, with black interior, small block, 4 speed, 12 bolt open rear end. Just curious, what would you want for that if you were to sell it?

·
Registered
767 Posts
inner wheelhouse replacements where non existent up until this year...all other panels are available ..however the one piece trunk panel with braces must... be modified as it is meant for chevelle...not too hard...nice shell to start with.....my wife dubbed mine swiss cheese

·
Premium Member
14,053 Posts
One of my coworkers had a SB, 4speed first gen MC, don't remember the exact year, he restored it himself when he worked at a Chevy dealer. It was Green exterior, don't remember the interior color, he sold it do restore a Corvette he bought???

1 - 15 of 15 Posts