Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1968 Malibu Convertible with a 1969 engine and obviously ordered with a SS396 package- because of the factory trim hole and emblem hole positions. The numbers on my 68 vin tag and engine stamp numbers match. However I cannot find the JQ prefix in your engine code listing for 69. By the code it looks like this person ordered the car late in the year code is T1210JQ. Any one have any answers?

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
T1210JQ
T=Tonawanda Engine Plant
12=Dec of 1968!
10=day of
JQ=1969 Chevrolet full size passenger car 396, 2-bbl carb and TH 400 trans. [All 68 Chevelle engines used the letter "E" as the first letter in the engine suffix]

If this is a real 1968 SS396 the VIN will tell you for sure. In 1968 the first three (3) digits if the VIN will be 138 for a SS and 133,134,135,136 or 137 for the rest of the models in the Chevelle lineup. Odd numbers in the 3rd digts indicate a 6 cyl powered car and even indicate a V8 powered car. The VIN is the legal indentifier for the vehcile and found on the title (aka pink slip) not the numbers on the trim plate.

From the info you provided so far it does not appear this is a original Chevelle engine. If you want more info then you will need to post the VIN and all the codes found on the body cowl data plate, the engine pad etc.

Info from the Chevy Parts Catalog, agrees with Fred, Chevy by the numbers, MSA-1 etc.

[This message has been edited by elcamino (edited 05-24-99).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.