Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 1969 Chevelle Malibu with the following options...L48(300 horse 350),dual exhaust, rear defog, multiplex stereo, vacuum trunk latch, factory 12 bolt, gauge and tach package, air conditioning, etc. It is a #51 (dark blue) paint color and has a black bench interior. I was told by a very helpful gentleman from Canada that there were only 3244 Chevelles produced in 69 with the 4 speaker stereo system. What I am wondering is if someone can tell me out of the 3244 how many had the other options my car came with. Please help if you can. Thanks, Scott

------------------

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Man They must be really rare! No one wants to talk about it..

·
Registered
740 Posts
I didn't know u could get a 12 bolt on a malibu i may be wrong but never heard of that b4 atleast FACTORY

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
12 Bolts came factory on two types of Chevelles. Super Sports and L48 which is the 300 horse 350. I didnt know that either until I started researching this car.

·
Registered
70 Posts
There really isn't anything rare about that options combo. I would guess that the most valuable options would be the guage/tach cluster.

Also, if the 12 bolt was a posi, that would obviously be a valuable option.

While the stereo may be rare, it's one of those options that there isn't much call for. For example, GM offered a compass as a option and while it is rare, there is no real demand for them. On the other hand, the tach guage cluster is a performance option that is sought after by restorers.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for you opinion Tedster, I was trying to decide if I should sell this car but I dont know if I'll ever be able to find another one this clean with only 63,000 original miles. I guess I was hoping to hear that the options made the car even more special so it wouldnt be so hard to decide to keep it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hold on now. Though they may not be super rare, I know from the hundreds of Chevelle's I've seen at dozens of car shows in the last few years that some of these options aren't common, especially rear window defoggers and vacuum trunk release. Sound to me like you've got a pretty unique car. I'd hang on to it.
JT

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks JT, I know that this is one of those cars that if you sell it you wish you didn't,
I think I'll wait until summer to decide anyway. The only reason I was thinking about selling it is to get an SS car.......Now if I can just figure out how to do both.

·
Registered
82 Posts
It sounds rare to me. How many 300hp Chevelles do you see that have these options (how many 300hp Chevelles do you see period)? Also look at the combination of options. One or two of them on a car doesn't make it so special, but with all those options, you have a car that is rare and desirable. I personally would keep it since you see SS's all the time, unless you're really set on a big block.

------------------
'69 RS SS 396 375hp L78 Convertible, M22, 3.31 posi, deluxe interior, gauges, rosewood wheel, AM-FM,fold down seat, SS wheels

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have had five Chevelles and all of them were small blocks. But even the ones that I spent loads of money on didn't seem to run like this one does. Your right though I would like to have a Big Block car. Maybe I'm compensating for a small.....well, nevermind. I am putting together a website with pictures of my L48 and my 57 Chevy, I will post a link soon. Thanks for the encouraging word Chris396.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I can't wait to see it. And I know what it's like to want a big block.

------------------
'69 RS SS 396 375hp L78 Convertible, M22, 3.31 posi, deluxe interior, gauges, rosewood wheel, AM-FM,fold down seat, SS wheels

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
It seems like a few certain cars are ordered loaded with options. I'm assuming that many of these cars were dealer demos to advertise some of the novelty items available with that model. It's pretty rare, I'd say, to have all those options on a Malibu. Furthermore, it seems as if most of the non-SS tach/gauge cars are manual tranny cars, too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I never thought about it being ordered by a dealer. As funny as it might sound I thought it might have been someone that had planned on towing something with the car or someone that couldn't afford the rest of the $$$$ for the SS option.

·
Gold Founding Member
63,103 Posts
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>My first Chevelle was a new 69 Malibu
<LI>It was a 300hp 350
<LI>I sure wish I had it back
<LI>I think it would out run the 396 I have now
[/list]

Unordered, bulleted list test:

Code:

------------------
Dean Call
Team Gold member #3
A.C.E.S. # 00235
N.C.O.A. # 4350
M.A.C.C. # 001

macc.chevelles.net

[This message has been edited by Dean (edited 12-19-1999).]

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't know if mine will out run any big block cars but I'll have a lot of fun trying. Hey Dean, my friend told me that 300 horse 350 cars are supposed to have a factory aluminum manifold, did yours? Mine is cast iron witha Q-jet.

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
Nope, the cast iron Q-jet intake is correct. I think that the last Chevelle SB with an aluminum intake was the 68 L79, but I'm not certain.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have a car that is not loaded and is just a basic 69 SS396, no power steering, it has the MC1 3speed manual trans, a one legger 12 bolt, and a bench seat, standard instrument cluster, and Ca smog. You would think that odd optioned cars or cars like mine "price leader" cars would be worth a little more than the standard SS or Malibue. They are much harder to find, mine is has is numbers matching everyplace except the carb and water pump. When you have an appraisal done all they want to know is how many options it has, not if they are hard to find (ever price a multi-plex radio $$$$)or if the car was a base strippie that they most likely never sold many of. My car was built in April of 69 and sold in Sept 69 (heck to &0's where on the lot then). What that tells me is it must have sat on the lot for a while drawing people in with the look, then the sales people sold them the higher priced model or more options.

------------------
Gold Member #164
sites.netscape.net/1969ss/homepage
San Diego CA.

[This message has been edited by Joe Harrison (edited 12-21-1999).]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.