Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long would you run old tires, my 1966 has tires on it that are at least 10 years old, lots of tread left. I am afraid that they are going to come apart some time and destroy something important. 67318B9A-BE4D-4D16-8379-F3B329E6FB29_1587916530690.jpg BF54ABF2-D722-4EA3-BC93-2321441807CC_1587916515051.jpg AB208BF2-E0FB-40F3-9F0C-617FE1B9CFDF_1587916491551.jpg

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Check for dry rot cracks at the bead area and inside the tread lugs. There is no hard and fast rule. If you see cracks......not good. UV light is a rubber killer, cover tires when possible.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I don't run tires more than 10 years old. I made an exception with my wifes 2007 Mustang that was purchased in 2018 with only 7500 miles on it and sporting its original Pirellis. They looked like brand new tires. Needless to say one blew out on the highway doing 75mph. Luckily nothing was damaged and no one got hurt.

Reactions: BillyGman

·
Premium Member
Kim
652 Posts
I just bought a 99 Vette that had tires with date codes of 2204 on them. They were Goodyear OEM tires and although they only had about 4500 miles on them and looked fine, they were rocks, just downright sketchy. It wasn't even fun doing a smokeshow with them, they didn't really smoke.:boring:

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
After 6 years old I replace any of my Street Ties

When the Track Tires stop working or are worn out I replace them whether 2/3/4 years old

Reactions: BillyGman

·
Gold Founding Member
63,024 Posts
I wouldn't trust 10 year old tires on the highway.

I use to changed to modern radials when driving the 69 to Chevelle~Abration and put the 14-15 year old tires back on for the show but that was a PITA to haul them down to Nashville and change them twice.
I gave the old tires away a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I would change out for safety and piece of mind. Mine were like new had couple spider like cracks starting very small to see,

I changed them out and I checked with shop light inside the tire when they were off the rim and the hidden unknow lurks inside on what you cant see.

glad I changed them when I did.

·
Premium Member
1967 Chevelle Malibu
334 Posts
I wouldn't run anything longer than 5 years (at least here in Florida). I had BF Goodrich on my 6.0 Diesel F250 (bulletproofed), and within 3 years had 3 of the tires go bad (one blew out with my wife driving and wiped out the rear bed quarter).

I changed to Michelin and I swap them out minimum every 5 years.

·
Premium Member
1,979 Posts
We do a lot of tires at the shop. Have to tell you. Michelin and Continental tires are the worst at dry rot and cracking. Funny thing is Michelin says there just surface cracks LOL.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We do a lot of tires at the shop. Have to tell you. Michelin and Continental tires are the worst at dry rot and cracking. Funny thing is Michelin says there just surface cracks LOL.

A couple of years back I was looking for new tires for the small boat trailer 13”. The local tire chain store had some but they where both over fifteen years old, brand new but never installed. They wanted to sell them told me they where still good. I went somewhere else. Everyone needs to be able to read the date codes.

·
Super Moderator
12,634 Posts
I hate to admit it but the Goodyear tires on my S-10 are from about a year after I bought it in 1999. So just about 20 years old. Getting close to 70K miles on them and they are getting hard so its time for replacement but I feel perfectly safe on them for day to day driving back and forth to the shop.

The sad part is it is getting hard to find some of the older sizes in a "name brand" tire. I was looking last week and there were very few to be found.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I had 2 older plow trucks 94/96 that still had brand new spares that never touches the ground but we're cracking, being cheap as I am I had the tires tubed 8 years ago. I sold the truck to somewhat my father in law and he is still running the streets with them.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Mine are just over 30 years old. They obviously don't see much sunlight. They look good. Dunlop GT Qualifiers... maybe it's time for some new rubber!!?

ak

·
Premium Member
17,413 Posts
5 Years is what we use as per gm certified vehicles,older than that they are scrap.
I guess that seems pretty common with tire shops, 5-6 years, any older and the shop won't work on them for liability concerns...

I have an old tire on a crappy rally wheel, with a slow leak... I had to go to 5 tire shops before I could get someone to look at it, and finally that shop put a new valve stem in it > I was just for a "roller", so I told the shop I don't need it balanced...

But it worries me a bit. My '97 S-10 has about 2000 miles on the tires, and I replaced them in 2007. So 13-years old, but its a truck I now put 100-150 miles per year, max... I can't really justify new tires that are once again going to me "too old" before I even get 1,000 miles on them...

But when I do buy tires, I am going to demand that the manufacturers dates are within about 4 weeks of purchase... If the shops are going to play the liability game with me, then I don't want some tire that's already getting old...

With my daily drivers, not as much of an issue, as I feel they will probably be ready for replacement before 5 years...

And speaking of cracking tires, the little one's on my garden wagon keep cracking. The tubes leak too. The last 8-10 tires (some HF some OE), only one retains pressure for more than a few weeks... Bought replacements from Harbor Freight for $3.99 ea, those will get me through another few years, I hope. Obviously not worried about a blow-out at speed (many 2MPH), but it was getting scary pumping them up to 35 psi...

·
Premium Member
15,844 Posts
a tire man told me 8 years is about the proper life of a tire, UV or not. I put a 15 yr old spare on, and it rolled off the rim soon enough. Not fun.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'd agree 8-10 years regardless of how they look. I had Radial T/As on my 69 Z/28 for 10 years with less than 1,500 miles on them. The car sat in the garage more than I drove it. The tires looked great but while heading home after a drive, I felt a clunk. Sure enough, the belts had come apart in passenger front tire. Fortunately I was close to home and limped into my garage. I ordered new tires and while the car was sitting there waiting for them to come in, the belts on another tire separated.Glad this didn't happen at speed. Pretty sure having the car sit for a long period of time didn't help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I wouldn't run anything longer than 5 years (at least here in Florida). I had BF Goodrich on my 6.0 Diesel F250 (bulletproofed), and within 3 years had 3 of the tires go bad (one blew out with my wife driving and wiped out the rear bed quarter).

I changed to Michelin and I swap them out minimum every 5 years.
BF Goodrich is owned by Michelin

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
I would suppose it depends on the type of tire, how it is used and how it spends its idle time. For a car that travels on roads I would run tires beyond 10 years.

Back in 1992 I was looking to get some 14" radials for my Chevelle that looked stock but were much better. Back then you could find them easily but today it means reproduction tires or BFG T/A-based tires with redlines or retro lettering. In '92 there wasn't a lot of noise being made about old tires. The tire store I went to said there were still Firestone Deluxe Champion bias-ply E78-14s listed in the system but they hadn't been produced since 1976...

There was a guy with a '47 Chevy that would go to some of the cruises in the area. In the end of the summer 2016 he was coming home from one such cruise when he had a sudden blowout on the highway. The car spun and was T-boned by an inter-city bus, rolled and burst into flames. All 4 people in the car died. :sad: Just horrible. It got real for me because we would see the car at some of the cruises in Toronto.
Attached is a picture of Chad's '47 taken at his last cruise (note the yellow American Graffiti 32 in the background, it belongs to the guy who balanced my crank). And the grim aftermath. It still puts a knot in my stomach to think about it.

It isn't worth gambling on tires. People run old tires because manufacturers have dropped many tire sizes, so they run their 20+ year old Eagle STs. It seems to be that or Donk 22" tires. I have a set of Firestone FR480 radials that look great on the car but aren't safe to do anything more than move the car in the driveway. I would buy another set if they still made them because they rode great, stuck to the road, really improved handling and also added about 5% to my fuel economy over the ancient (1974!) bias-ply tires that were on my Chevelle. After the loss of Chad & family I would not think twice about replacing old tires.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 49 Posts