Team Chevelle banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a NOS grill for my 1971 Chevelle SS yesterday and the guy is is asking $400.00 for it.Have to replace mine,starting to crack in a couple spots although the SS badge is new and needs to be replaced before it gets worse including a few small dings in the grill.Car was restored 4 years ago and this grill was put back on.I know the guy whom is selling it,Jim and he is one of my father's good customers.Wants it out of his garage and I have first bids at it.Want to do this since I plan on driving it to work sometime next month to work for the first time when the snow clears.How much should I pay for it?

·
Premium Member
6,734 Posts
$400 sounds like too much to me. How bad does he want it out of the garage? You can get a reproduction for a hundred and some odd dollars that will fit and look the same. A rock at anytime could take out that 400 dollar part in a second. personaly I would not give over $250 for it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Found it in the attic in his garage brand new unopened in the box still.Wants to get rid of it badly since he has no use for it.I offered $200.00 for it since I need it and told me no.I have a final offer for $225.00 and may go $250.00.My father said this guy overprices stuff.I did check the price of the reproduction grill which is under $200.00.Going to call this guy later tonight and my father had a talk with this guy.I may win on this one.The grill on mine sticks out like a sore thumb and I don't like that.My Uncle Rick has a NOS hood still in the original box too for my 1971 and that is over a grand.Not selling that yet and I am the first one to get that when he decides to sell it.My hood is fine.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This guy gets home at 9:00 PM and I checked the price on the reproduction.Year One sells the grill for $169.00.

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
This guy gets home at 9:00 PM and I checked the price on the reproduction.Year One sells the grill for $169.00.
Comparing the price of an NOS grille to the repro grille is useless. It's like comparing apples to oranges. No sense in doing that.

My question to you is this....How nice is your car? Is it all original? If it's a show car, then you should buy this grille. A repro grille is fine for a nice driver, but if it were my car, I would want the NOS one. It's worth $300 IMO.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very nice looking,runs great and was restored 4 years ago.It is a numbers matching car.I have the photobook showing it was restored,right quarter panel was replaced which showed rust after media blasting.Engine,a LS6 454 was rebuilt and is the original 454.Luckily,I don't need to pour in the lead additive.Hardened valve seats were put in during the rebuild.Transmission was rebuilt too and is the automatic.I am going to drive it and is not going to be no trailer queen.I did buy the grille,bought it for $225.00.Told the guy a reproduction goes for under $200.00 and he listened.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Chantel, don't you have the 67 & 69 Z/28's? You also have this LS6 Chevelle? What other toys you hiding in the garage cuz I'm getting jealous? 8^)

·
Premium Member
6,840 Posts
.Engine,a LS6 454 was rebuilt and is the original 454.Luckily,I don't need to pour in the lead additive.Hardened valve seats were put in during the rebuild.
Ummm, there were no LS-6 engines in '71 Chevelles.:noway:
BillL

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ment LS5,my mistake.I have my toys and one gets me in real trouble,a 1968 Camaro custom with a 502,502 Hp big block and have recieved two speeding tickets with it.I have the bad case of "leadfoot" sometimes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts