Team Chevelle banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a set of small block heads with fairly low miles on them. Just enough wear in some of guides for the exhaust valves in the heads to have a slight movement @ about .25" lift.

How much does it cost to get a set of small block heads checked for cracks, straightness, bronze valve guides installed, seats & valves ground, and installed height checked? Nothing fancy, but a decent dependable set of heads.

Thanks!

Mike

·
Registered
280 Posts
If you are going to remove them yourself expect tp pay arround 500.. allittle more ot less depending on the quality of the parts.. If you just bring your car to have them do it all the cost is closer to 1500.00// I just had my ovals done for a bb 454... good luck.............phil

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
For a driver I was going to look for a head exchange place. I think in phoenix you can swap a set for about 300 bucks. for 500, your almost better off buying a new pair. Jim

·
Registered
85 Posts
you guys in the mid west the cost of living is way less there. Here on the east coast between NY and Washinton I 95 Corridor is way higher.

Cook blast 50
Mag 50
Bronze Guides 170
Valve Job 107
Mill 80
Set spring Height 45
Seals 18
Wash for assembly 30

No parts
Total 550.00

·
Registered
289 Posts
Just ordered a set of '65 heads from JD's Performance in Iowa . A pair of "461" heads, new everything, including 1.94's all new springs, stamped rockers {new GM },with gasket set ,new ARP head bolt set and shipping for $750. total... no exchange . I live in AZ. and cheapest I was able to find out here for the same stuff was $890. ......should see the order late next week . :)

·
Registered
681 Posts
I think it was powerhouse ad I saw in superchevy magazine ..they offer a reconditioned set of 76cc heads resurfaced, either size SS vavles, new springs etc out the door price was either $349 or $399..no core exhachange! Thats a deal in my book. The only way you can take a beating is shipping....and or Im sure the heads a done by a local shop..if the work is less that acceptable Id be sure of the exchange policy. When ever I have bought heads new, used, or reconditions I take em apart,,,check each spring and valve job..just takes a valve srping compressor...most machine shops will check spring spec for you for nothing or $20 bucks..good piece of mind for me. Good luck.

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
Just IMHO I wouldn't consider doing a bunch of work on stock heads without adding hardened exhaust seats. That'll add a couple hundred to most of the numbers posted. Roofuss, did that $750 quote include exhaust seats?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts