Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have came into a tight spot and need to sell my 70 SS and was wondering if anyone could give an idea of what it is worth. I'll start with the engine, it's a 75 model 454 block bored .060 over with forged flat top pistons, 3/8 rods and ARP wav-loc bolts, cast crank tuned .020, plasma moly rings, 2 bolt mains, cloyes true roller chain, comp cam 274 extreme energy cam and lifters, 3/8 melling pushrods, heads milled .006, valve job, new springs and seals, crane roller rockers, stealth intake, moroso tall chrome valve covers, holley 830 CFM annular carb, barry grant 8AN braided fuel inlet kit, holley fuel pump, mallory distributor, moroso blue max wires, billet wire holders, crane digital ignition, moroso drop base air cleaner, power steering pump, lakewood bellhousing, new genuine GM clutch linkage, all engine parts listed above are new with less than 100 miles driving time on them. 12 bolt posi with GM clutches, richmond 4.10 gears, CR bearing's race's and seals, everything in rear is new drum to drum less than 100 miles also. Muncie 4 speed new seals, gaskets and synchronizers. factory boxed rear control arms with new urathane bushings upper and lower. NEW upper and lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rod ends, A-arm bushings, calipers, urathane sway arm bushings and rod end link. New 8 inch vette ralleyes. New year one vinyl roof, carpet and drivers floor pan. NEW GM quarters, passenger door, cowl hood. Car was stripped to bare metal and proffesionally painted using PPG base coat clear coat paint, blue with white stripes, paint turned out flawless. Tilt steering, 4 core radiator, zoom clutch, new front wheel bearings and seals, package tray. car runs on 93 octane with no pings at 9.5 to 1 compression, and run between 175 and 185 degrees on 100 degree days. i have over $13500 invested with less than 100 miles driving since completion, car is actually so nice my wife and I hate to take it anywhere. sorry about the long post but I figured it would help the evaluation? Car is listed in Team Chevelle cars for sale for $11,900 is this too much ? All honest opinions greatly appreciated. thanx

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
I would ask 13,500. You never know someone my pay you close to what you want. If you ask 11,900 then people want to go for less.
Luis!!70SS

·
Registered
112 Posts
I would ask more too, maybe 13-14k. I would take no less than 12K

[This message has been edited by JON66 (edited 06-16-99).]

·
Registered
738 Posts
Just my .02, but if I were really in the market for a 70' SS that was in as good as shape as you are describing, I would pay as much as 15K for it. Raise your bar

------------------
70' Malibu - 383 Stroker that loves Dental Gas! Chevellz Alwayz!

·
Registered
104 Posts
A few weeks ago, my father sold his 72 SS for $11,500. The car was bone stock and unrestored. Very clean for a 27-year-old car. But it was still a 27-year-old car with 140K-plus miles. Because he got $11,500 for a 72 small block 350 SS, you should be able to get more than your current asking price for a 70 that has been restored, I would think.

The Chevelle market can be unpredictable though. Patience is the key, if you can afford the time. I’ve had my incredibly clean, frame-up restored 68 Chevelle for sale for two months now (see link below). Asking price $11,750. All I get are tire kickers. My dad’s phone was ringing off the hook when he advertised his 72. Go figure...

------------------
Robert

www.classiccarlot.com (15% discount for my fellow Chevelle owners!)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Sound like a real nice ride... I would go higher and give yourself some room to negotiate down. The 15K number sounds good and that way you should most likely get what you have in it. One thing that would help too, is if you would have a current proffesional appraisal that outlines what all the goodies are. It would add a little more to the negotiation factor.

Hope it Helps

------------------
The proud owner of a Canadian 64-SS. :D
ZZ4 Powered with real attitude ! :)
Team Chevelle #37 - Gold Member

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
sammyj I can't get your email address to work. If you are in the Texas area I am interested. Also I couldn,t find the ad in the for sale section.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS 396, Fathom Blue/White Stripes)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Muscle car sales are so unpredictable nowadays. A guy I know was selling a 70SS 454 convt clone for 12 grand. The car looked very nice new interior paint and top and had many options ac pw ps pdisc and all of the SS 454 options, tach, steering wheel, 12 bolt, f41 emblems etc. I thought this car would sell instantly. He had to drop his price after thee months to finally sell it. I see people asking outrageous amount of money for thier cars, I don't know if they are getting thier price or not. what i'm trying to say is your car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it and maybe you should keep the price open to the buyers to make the initial offer.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think the best way to sell a car is to show it. People have a hard time buying a car just by someone else's description. What I would do is take some pictures and have them scanned or use a digital camera, just so you have electronic pictures to send people or place on a web page. If the car is as nice as you say it is, it will sell in a hurry! Plus, don't just advertise here, advertise on other classified sites. Most people here own 1,2,3 or ?? chevelles and aren't really in the market. The important thing is to have detailed pictures and also unique pictures (like a spotless undercarriage or perfect dash!) Trust me, it works! If anyone agrees, please encourage this posting!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Okay, the following is somewhat of a shameless plug. But what I have to say does apply to the discussion topic.

I have a auto classified web site (see url at bottom) and the muscle cars that sell quickly for the highest dollar are the ones that are either fresh, top-notch restorations or all-original, low-mileage cars.

Using the Internet to sell a collectible car greatly increases the car’s exposure; and exposure (aside from luck) is what it takes to get the top dollar for a desirable car.

If you create your own web site, don’t rely strictly on search engines to list your web site address. Advertise the web address in Hemmings Motor News. (Everyone reads Hemmings!) *Don't* list the asking price in the Hemmings ad, and include only a brief description of the car. But chose your words wisely.

Omitting the asking price when combined with an enticing vehicle description peaks the curiosity of the Hemmings reader (who is your target audience, by the way). To find out the asking price, the reader must go to the web site. While visiting the web site to find out the price, the reader is looking at pictures of the car and reading a detailed description, all at one viewing. Even if the reader thinks your car is over-priced, he or she will at least continue looking at the photos and finish reading the text. The reader may even change his mind and eventually buy the car. Or he may email a friend the web address, and that person may buy the car. Remember, think “exposure.” Exposure is the key.

My web site offers unlimited photos and text. Advertisers who take advantage of those features (especially the photos) have the easiest time selling their cars. If you create your own web site, include at least a dozen or more photos. Plenty of pictures and text is what a real buyer wants to see on a web site.

Everything I’ve written about above is what I do on my web site, and I can tell you that it works for my advertisers almost every time. The only time is fails to generate a sale is when the car is grossly over-priced.

Good luck with the sale, Sammy J.

------------------
Robert

www.classiccarlot.com (15% discount for my fellow Chevelle owners!)

[This message has been edited by rstoltz (edited 06-21-99).]

·
Registered
648 Posts
a lot might depend on where your located, i visited tenn. and mississippi last week and the prices down there we're 2 to 3 k less than here in michigan. isn't there somthing else you can sell? the sofa, washing mach. you know non essential stuff. kidding for sure, best of luck. john

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Hi. If you are located in Conenticut, I have seen your add. I was shoping for a car, but your price was a bit out of my range. I agree with another post here to the fact that if there were pictures of the car, I would have called.
Instead I found another car on a web page (musclecarsforsale.com) very similar to yours (frame-off restoration 6000 mileas ago, a bunch of new parts, 396 hi perf. engine etc) for 10,500. I thought that price was very reasonable and I paid full price for it. The car is arriving tomorrow.
What intrigued me about your car was the 4 speed, and I guess what I am saying is that if there were any pictures with the car, (and if I was not in a hurry to spend my money!!) I would have looked at it more closely.
Hope this helps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.