Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just wondering how much you all have into you chevelle. i have about $10,000 in my car and my girlfriend and mom think i spend way to much on my car.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
With all the big parts and not keeping track of the little things (I know these will add a substantial price as mistakes cost a lot of dough....and lord only knows I have made a lot of mistakes!! But its the learning experience from those mistakes that will save me in the long run
) I've got about 15K "invested." My parents think I'm nuts too, but you know what I always tell them?? Better money spent on the Chevelle than me buying drugs! Plus, with graduation coming around the corner, I'll have my BSME and be able to buy cool stuff like BB_Mike

·
Premium Member
13,692 Posts
at least 8 g's,and at a minimum I still have a headliner and paint still yet.

------------------
Bob West
1972 Malibu 454+.030
350 turbo-3.73's
in street trim(radial tires)
12.81 @ 107.06 (2.02 60 ft.)

·
Premium Member
2,356 Posts
Well without keeping track of the little stuff, and i still have to build an engine and get a tranny for it, and uhh some other small stuff, id say i am right at the 13k mark with about at least another 5k to go before its complete... And this is just for my 67.... I try not to think about it!

------------------
Thomas (AKA Hot66ss)
66 Super Sport Now striped frame off Project
67 Malibu Getting there.
69 El camino Beater FOR SALE Mild 355, M20 4 speed (Daily Driver)
Video of me in the Elco smoking the tires
Aces Member 2380
Team Chevelle member #262

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
It's insured for $17500 so I dont lose anything.I punted on paint which was 5K. But got a great deal on an old L88 I used to own 2K. the tripower brought it up to 17+.

Hey, I could have put the cash into NASDAQ Q's and have a $8000 portfolio value.

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 10-30-2001).]

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Got a box full of receipts. Did 90-95% of the labor myself and it's insured for about $29,000.00.

Don't think I want to add up the receipts my wife would probably throw me out. And even though I've been married for 24 years my mom would probably get mad at me too!

They are never worth what you invest in them.

FastSS396man

------------------
69' SS396 Chevelle
L78 396/375hp
M-21 Close Ratio
10 year Resto
It's brand new again!

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
You had to ask that, didn't you

Well, let's see; about $10K on motor and accesories, $3500 on tranny, $4000 on 9" rear end and rear suspension, and driveshaft, and MSD Digital 6, and gauges/tach, and electric fans, and aluminum radiator, and, and, ....
About $25K including price of the car? Ok, maybe $30 but who is counting

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
A little over 30K so far and I have paint, tires and wheels, sound system and interior yet to go. I expect 45K complete.......

------------------
Redrum (or Mike)
68 Corvette - 383 CI 427 HP
69 SS Chevelle being updated to Pro-Touring
97 Z-28

·
Registered
40 Posts
Doing a frame off restoration and not knowing how to rebuild the interior of an engine, tranny, and rear end, it adds up to a lot. With it basically complete, as far as the basics I have $25,000 into it. It took all of the money I have ever made for the last 4 years and the rest was picked up by my dad because we worked together on it. It's an investment though that goes up in value and puts a smile on your face just looking at it.

------------------
'70 Chevelle SS 396
Frame Off Restoration

·
Registered
37 Posts
I paid $4300.00 for my 70 SS396 back in 1986.
Two years later with a paint job added,I drove the car down to Tenn.(Pigeon Forge car show) and a guy offered me $7500.00.When i said i`m not interested,he then made me an offer of $7500.00 and he threw his wife in the deal!!!This guy was nuts!!!
Anyway,I feel these cars are a pretty good investment.If you don`t get too carried away.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Something real close to 10 grand.
I used to add it up.
But decided its best not to leave a paper trail.

I know I'll double that in the next 5 to 10 years.

------------------
They say I'm crazy, but I have a good time.
<A HREF="http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/thads68.jpg" TARGET=_blank>
68 SS-396</A>
<A HREF="http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/68vette.jpg" TARGET=_blank>
68 Corvette</A>

·
Premium Member
19,960 Posts
Not counting the 14K the first go around, this time about 18K more for minor bodywork, paint, interior, fuel injection and MSD ignition, wheels/tires, disc brakes, extras like stereo, tilt column, electric windows/doors, digital gauges, etc. I figure about 4K more for an engine overhaul and conversion to 700R4.

------------------
Dale McIntosh
TC Gold #92/ACES #1709
67SS & 67 Elky
http://www.dalesplace.com

·
Registered
55 Posts
Obviously there is a large range of numbers as to what people have spent on their Chevelles. Remember two things. First, a tool you need to work on the car doesn't count. It's a tool, it can be used for many other things, and it doesn't get bolted to the car. Secondly, no matter how much you spend, it's cheaper than a mistress.

------------------
70 Malibu Convertible
350ci/330hp/410 ft-lbs. th350/3.08 posi

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
MY wife of 20 years. Call's my shop A black
Hole, sucking up all my available money and time.
About 14k in my 64 rag just about finished.
6k in my 65 El Camino
I do all my own work so the above is just parts and original investment in real project type cars.
Keeps me off the streets and out of trouble.

Wayne
ACES 1556
TCG 185

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I'd say I have between 12 to 13K in mine. But it may be more
. I still would like to put new wheels and tires ($1500) and a few other things. It never ends!!!!!....

------------------
71 Malibu 454/4speed
www.geocities.com/chevnt1_chevelle/

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.