Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw an ad in a local paper for someone parting out 66-67 chevelles. The ad mentioned he had disk brakes. How do I check out the brakes to know they are good? How do I know for sure they will fit my 66? And finally, how much should I expect to pay if they check out ok.
Thanks in advance.

------------------
Jon Bush
66 Malibu Sport Coupe
Fremont CA, birthplace of many a chevelle
http://members.tripod.com/jon66bu/jon1.htlm

·
Registered
38 Posts
Remember that these are 30 y/o brakes. You should expect to rebuild the calipers before bolting them onto your ride and trusting your life to them.

Spend an hour at your local grave-yard and check out the A-bodies with disks. Try to pick out things about the caliper and spindles that you'll be able to recognize later. (A tape measure and a couple notes might help a lot here)

Look at the rotors being offered. Check for obvious cracking, and small dark smudges (burn marks on warped disks) Check the thickness of the rotor, against the minimum thickness allowed. (It is cast right into the rotor........"MIN .799" for example)

Get a feel for the asking price of New conversions. Then set a limit on the % that you feel is fair. (1/3 or 1/4 new)

I've bought several parts cars for $100-$150, that have every-thing needed for the swap. You just have to have the nerve to stop and ask people if they'll part with a heap that has obviously been sitting for a long time.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Jon, about an hour ago I visited a junk yard close to me and found a 71 chevelle with disks they told me they would remove the whole set up for me for 200$.I jumped on it.I'm just wondering if the booster,mastercylinder, calipers etc will still be good?????? I figured it was worth it for me not to have to do it in the mud.. I'll let you know in about a week????? flywheel

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, heres an update, i didnt find anything at the local Goodguys show last weekend but found a 72 Elky with disk that will come complete for $375. Might need cleaning up. What do you guys think?
Jon

·
Registered
79 Posts
I got my disc brake setup from a '71. The guy sold me the parts (master, rotors, spindles, calipers) for $200 ($250 ?? I forget). I then purchased rebuilt calipers ($22 each) and a rebuilt master cylinder ($25) from the local parts store using the purchased ones as cores. Also had the rotors turned (forget what they charged me... $10 maybe).

In addition, figure in new pads. I also need to get an adjustable proportioning valve from Summit or Jegs ($40).

·
Registered
258 Posts
Buck, you have the coolest handle! Cracks me up!

The May 99 Chevy High Performance magazine has a good article on Disk brakes for Chevelles. It also has some cool Chevelles featured. It's a must buy.

------------------
Jameel Qazi
#'s 67 SS

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.