Team Chevelle banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking that i might want to go with a "custom" stitched interior. Nothing real fancy, either tweed and vinyl or if I hit the lotto leather. Does any one have an idea what seats and door panels would cost for my '66 here in the Detroit Metro area???

Does any one know if there is a company that makes "custom kits" instead of buying reproduction??

TIA
Mike

------------------
"What I need is an exact list of specific unknown problems I might encounter."
Team Chevelle #858
A.C.E.S. #...52hundredandsumthin"http://hotred66ss.homestead.com

·
Premium Member
7,690 Posts
For custom stiched stuff door panels and all- you'll probably be looking at $2000-3500 depending on the material.

There is a company that makes kind of custom looking seat covers- called autocraft. THey sell several ready to go designes in your choice of all cloth- cloth/vinal- or all vinal. Most interior shops will have their catalogs showing the styles available. They pre-make it to fit your type of cars seat style, and away you go.

I had this done on my olds delmont88 and it looked killer (cloth/vinal combo). These covers are a lot cheaper ($300 front/back) and you can install them youself, or have a shop do it.

For door panels... I don't know. You can buy extra fabric from Autocraft and have the shop make you custom door panels using it... but that will pretty much be as expensive as any custom job for that.

Good luck with it!

------------------
Ben Rambow
1970 El Camino SS
My old 1969 El Camino
The El Camino Classics Club
"Whats the matter with the car I'm Driving? Can't ya tell that its out of style..."

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
Chief

I can't comment on prices up north however here in Texas you should be able to get the
job done for $2000.00 no problem at least for
tweed.
When you get into leather the price will
really increase. Leather costs about 25cents
a square inch. Doesnt sound like a lot but figure it out..Its a lot. Personally I like tweed..It looks good and is durable. If you
decide to have the car done I'd highly recommend asking around and find a reputable
auto trim shop that doesnt premake seat covers but rather will make convers for YOUR
car. I've worked in a few of them and its like anything else you get what you pay for..
No matter what they advertise reproduction seat covers are not the same quality as what you'll get from a good trim shop.

------------------
best regards
Importtech

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.....sounds like it is dooable. I figured it was going to cost about $600 - $700 for the repop seats and door panels for the car, plus the cost of havein the seats "done". If I watch my pennies, I may be able to go the "custom" route. Going to the Woodward Dream Cruise next weekend, and should be able to scope out some nice interiors there, and maybe get together with a reputable company....

Thanks Again

Mike

------------------
"What I need is an exact list of specific unknown problems I might encounter."
Team Chevelle #858
A.C.E.S. #...52hundredandsumthin"http://hotred66ss.homestead.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts