Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The door handles on my 66 look great from a distance, but clearly have some scratches up close. I have a stainless polish kit and it seems to barely do anything.

I hit it with some 320 wet, 1000, 1500 and it seems like it was getting better but I'm going to have to hit it with something like a 2500 and some aggressive polishing in order to get a good shine.

I question if this is a good idea or not.

I'm guessing things like this are chrome plated and with too much work, I'm thru to the copper or whatever.

The scratches are deep enough to catch a finger nail, there's no rust bubbles.

Who's had luck with wet sanding, where did you start, where did you stop (2500?) and how did you polish it out?

I've got the standard brown, white, green, ... sticks.

·
Premium Member
1,484 Posts
Chrome is only so thick, if you sand through it it will have a different.."Patina"

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I thought, they come with nickel under the chrome and you really can get scratches out. It's not like stainless which is solid and scratches can be polished out.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chrome never looks the same after its touched.

Have yours redone or buy new as was said.
Sadly, California has gone out of control with regulations and getting things re-chromed just isn't the same. Most places shut down in California or raised their prices thru the roof.

Sooner or later, I'm going to have to draw a line on things. The next owner is going to have to make the decision on some of this stuff.

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,707 Posts
You can't save yours by sanding and polishing. You'll be money and time ahead by buying Trim Parts brand replacements. Make sure it's that brand. They're nice.

·
Premium Member
16,796 Posts
You can't save yours by sanding and polishing. You'll be money and time ahead by buying Trim Parts brand replacements. Make sure it's that brand. They're nice.
X2 on this. The Trim Parts handles are very nice. Just installed a set on the El Camino I'm putting together.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts