Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a mild 396, and am wondering how many TH350's there are behind mild BB's maybe sometimes seeing a little bracket racing?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Plenty of them. A TH 350 is under estimated by alot of people when it comes to big block power. If you have a mild 396, I wouldn't worry about it. Unless you're planning on some major upgrades in the future.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Took a turbo 350 out of a worn out 75 chevelle over 2 years ago. Tranny slipped pretty bad. Had a $125 rebuild done to it and so far have not been able to hurt it. It has seen track time behind a mild 396 for a year and now sits behind a built 427. If my son can't break it with the 427 they must be one heck-of-a strong tranny.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS)

·
Registered
129 Posts
My 79 Z28 had approx. 125,000miles on the stock, unrebuilt TH350 when I installed the slightly warmed over 396 about 8 years ago. We made a homemade shift kit for it at that time and the tranny is still in there. And the car has been driven the way you would expect a Camaro w/ a Big Block to be driven. The car now has 140,000 on the unrebuilt TH350......i did install a 2500 stall 2 yrs. ago and a new Vac. modulator last year.
I will probably pull it out later this year and rebuild it......only because the front seal seems to have seen better days.

Shannon

·
Registered
124 Posts
i have a 70 nova with a 396 that runs high elevens with a turbo 350,it also sees alot of hard street driving. the only upgrades are an ati 8" convertor, manual valve body, and a hardened second gear sprag.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, if you guys have rebuilt the tranny, what perfomance after parts were installed if any?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I used just a regular Raybestos rebuild kit and a trans-go shift kit on mine. The kit came w/ clutches, steels and seals. Paid like $75 for everything. Works great.

L

·
0 Posts
I know personally of 2 big block cars--one is a 69 Chevelle, the other a 2-ton+ 60 Chevy, both with 454s running mid 12s--with TH350s. The 60 has had the same tranny for at least 6 years, the 69 has been going strong for two. Both were rebuilt locally, and have zero problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.