Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on a 70 with a stock am-fm mono radio with fader control switch.I was wondering if it could handle 4 stock speakers?I would like to use 2 4x6 8ohms up front and 2 10 ohms in rear.The radio used to run 2 stock 6x9 speakers in the car I took it out of.Do you think that would be too many speakers for radio to handle? Thank's,Jim.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Jim,
In regards to speaker impedence, all speakers that will be hooked up to the head unit (radio) will need to be the same ohm.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Your stock radio should have 10ohm speakers and only one front and one rear with fader. Any lower than 10ohm may damage the output transistor. A mono radio only has one speaker output. The fader allows the addition of a rear speaker and controls the load on the output so that it sees 10ohm impedance all the time.

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
Originally posted by Steve S:
Any lower than 10ohm may damage the output transistor.
Steve,

I plan on running four 8 Ohm speakers in my stock 72 Chevelle stereo setup. I believe my stock radio was stamped 8-10 Ohms. It's all packed up now. Do you think it's o.k?

Mike

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Stereo radios have built in front/back and left/right faders which control the load. 8 ohm will probably be ok if you don't crank the volume to the max. Remember these radios are 30+ years old. There is some very good info on this site at http://www.chevelles.com/radiotech/index.html from Joe Hubka. If you have an original radio I suggest you spend some time reading all you can on these pages.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts