Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have jsut had my car about a year now. and just broke my 7th starter. this one was the worst. most of them just give out and stop engaging or just stay engaged, but this one (still on my car) just grinded real real bad and then nothing.. i thought i striped my flywheel but to closer inspection it broke the whole case of the starter (where the pinnion is) in more than half. its a pitty im getting one of thoes race starters now **** theses peices of ****. im mad. sorry.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
On my second one in six years. Do you have the little starter bracket that holds the starter opposite nose end and mounts to the engine block? If not, that could be your problem. Too much weight on the nose and it just cracks. If you have the bracket, what brand starters are you using? I would be as
as you are if I went through that many starters in such a short time. That sucks.

------------------
1971 Chevelle
1994 Impala SS
1996 Schwinn when both are torn apart :)
The Silver Bullet
"If you don't have extra parts after a rebuild..you did it wrong"

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I have the same starter on my 350 when I installed the engine in 1996..103,000 miles ago.

------------------
MalibuJerry350
TC Member #1279
Original owner '70 Chevelle.
560,000+ miles on car.
Hey, if it's got wheels, DRIVE IT!
My Chevelle: http://hometown.aol.com/erie614/myhomepage/index.html

·
Registered
23 Posts
10 yrs, same starter. Look for other problems causing it to go bad.

·
Premium Member
4,796 Posts
17 years, same stock starter. I have a relatively high compression big block also. That starter works hard down there. But it is properly shimmed and makes no grinding sounds. Are you sure it is aligned properly? Are yuo using correct starter bolts? They have a special knurled shaft that keeps the starter aligned. Can't just use any old bolt to hold it in. Is your flywheel warped or the teeth screwed up enough to trash a starter?

Jim

------------------
My 70 Chevelle
Best ET [email protected] (so far)
BSE Power

·
Registered
13,123 Posts
In all the cars that I have (have had) in 40yrs, I have maybe replaced 4 starters. As mentioned above, I'd look for a problem in some other area. Shims needed? Correct, shouldered bolts?, Brace from starter to block? Etc?

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
I had a 454 years ago that used to go through starters no matter what I did. Usually it would kickback when first started and break the starter noses. The engine wanted a lot of timing advance and that was how it was. I ended up putting a toggle switch in the 12v line to the coil. After that I would spin the engine with the ignition off, and after it was spinning hit the ignition. Never broke a starter nose after that. Also for more strength get a nose for a manual trans car, it will be cast iron vs the aluminum and is much stronger. The cast iron nose also uses shorter mounting bolts so you will need them also if you change to the iron nose.

------------------
Dave
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
72 chevelle
TC member #493
Never forget Earnhardt!

·
Registered
834 Posts
How do you go about shimming the starter? I mean how do you tell when you need to put shims in etc? I've always just bolted them right to the block.

I am using the same starter on my 454 that I did on my 350. Just died a couple weeks ago. The motor is still strong but it's not engaging properly or something. I figure it did pretty good considering i've used it for 4 years, and who knows how long the guy before me used it.

------------------
Chris Dagenais
'71 Malibu with a home built 454! [email protected]
"Our balls are bigger :)"
CDE Power!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the fly wheel was new 5 months ago along with the motor (i wnet through 3 starters on my old motor too) and i am using the stock bolts from GM not even arp and i have tried shimming it in every possible way. it will grind sometimes then not grind then seem like its running fine then just one day click and not do **** or just spin inside or just be a peice of crap.

·
Registered
874 Posts
My buddy owns an auto parts store in madison and most of the starters he sells come with a little tool a small bent rod that you put between to flywheel and starter the rod diamiter is the correct distance between the starter and f/w if the rod does'nt fit you add shim/s to get correct lash on the teeth if you need less you put a 1/2 shim in opposite were needed.Some directions tell how to lisen for too much or too little engagment.
------------
Brett
'67
SS396
clone

[This message has been edited by bb67H-D (edited 10-25-2001).]

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
I have found that on some blocks the starter pad is not right. Have no clue why they are that way but they are. If you have one of those blocks get a shim set and follow the instructions. You must use the front support even on a 6cyl.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.