Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
I just picked up my Albuterol Inhaler, and the told me that this inhaler and all other inhalers were going to be taken off the market?? They say the reason is due to environmental impact. Has anyone else heard about this?? What are the people with Asthma going to use in its place? The pills take to long to work if you have an attack. What's wrong with this picture??:confused:

·
Registered
957 Posts
That's not good.I have Exercise-induced asthma.
I finally went to the Doc's last year and got an inhaler.It helped big time.
I was finally able to bike and jog like I used too and lost a few pounds, not that I'm a lard butt at 5'11 175

Personally I think most of this crap is caused by all the stuff that the government has allowed companies to do in order to produce higher profits for all these years.
Additives and genetic alteration can't be a good thing for a human body.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
It's a ploy by the drug company to not let the generic drugs take the sales. My Wife has asthma. When she went to get her albuterol inhaler prescription refilled they gave her a new brand they said will replace the albuterol one. Bad thing is the cost is a lot more and her insurance copay went from 10 to 30 dollars for it!

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
My wife was told by the Pharmacy tech that she wouldn't notice any difference other than she might have to suck harder to get the medication out. She's NOT happy-having to inhale harder is NOT what an asthmatic needs.

F"in tree huggers!

·
Registered
957 Posts
Hell dude all of my copays in the last two years have gone from 7.00 for a name brand to 20.00 for the same thing.They don't cover everything either.If it's not a preferred type of theirs, they won't cover it at all.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
I just picked up my Albuterol Inhaler, and the told me that this inhaler and all other inhalers were going to be taken off the market?? They say the reason is due to environmental impact. Has anyone else heard about this?? What are the people with Asthma going to use in its place? The pills take to long to work if you have an attack. What's wrong with this picture??:confused:
Enviromental impact ? what about the impact on asthma suffers ?

I noticed the over the counter brands are all but disappeared. I've used Albuterol but for me it doesn't kick in like the over the counter stuff.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
About a year ago, my doctor prescribed Qvar for me. She was concerned that the Albuterol, when used too frequently, had the potential to cause damage (scaring) to the lung tissue. Since I've been on Qvar, I have only had to use the Albuterol inhaler one time during an acute attack, vice once or twice a week before.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
I've had asthma just about my whole life (44 yrs). I've been on at least 20 different meds over the years. I'm now using the advair, which is a non aerosol inhaler. I've never taken one apart to check it, but it must just be a capsule with dust you inhale. It works great, take it once in the morning and once in the evening. I might have to hit the albuterol 2-3 times in a month if I feel real wheezy. The only thing is the advair is more a preventer, it will not help for fast acting asthma attacks. I hope they don't take the albuterol off the market, it works pretty well.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
My asthma sparked up real bad since I have moved into a new house 4 months ago. My triggers are dust, dust mite, and cat dander. All of which were present in the new home. I was fine for years up until recently, and became ill for 4 weeks. I finally realized I needed some treatment!

I was puffing on my albuterol every few hours until it became ineffective. That is a scary feeling, let me tell you. It just so happens that it was the same day I was scheduled to see the allergist.

The doc put me on 2 meds, Foradil and Asmenex, both are non-aerosol powder that is inhaled. I think they work great. Foradil is similiar to Albuterol except is safe for everyday use and is the anti-inflammatory. Asmenex is the controlling steriod. She still recommended that I carry Albuterol for attacks.

Albuterol is only supposed to be used for attacks, and they do not recommend to use it more than twice a week or month, I forget. I heard that long term inhalation of the aerosol is not good for you.

Since I have been ill, I ripped out the old carpeting and had the wood floors refinished, and purchased a new bed (dust mites live in them). It has been an expensive journey in attempt to make my home asthma friendly!

I can breathe now. My meds cost $60 (no generic available right now) a month right now with insurance.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I hope who ever told you that was pulling your chain. I wonder what the replacement would be.

·
Super Moderator
16,197 Posts
Singulair has made my life very non-asthma-like. I rarely ever have to use my inhaler and when I do the symptoms are less severe at the time. A preventative med is better than a rescue med if one will work for you. Singulair isn't cheap though. Since it works so well, I have to wonder what kind of long term damage will be done. There always seems to be a trade off....

Take a look at the ingredients in your albuterol inhaler. The propellant that gets the medicine into you is basically freon. Yep, freon like they use in air conditioning systems. Since freon is known to damage the ozone, it has to go, just like CFCs in aerosol spray cans had to go years ago. They found a way to make our spray cans work without an ozone-depleting chemical, so they'll make the inhalers work too. But they'll likely cost more....

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Singulair has made my life very non-asthma-like. I rarely ever have to use my inhaler and when I do they symptoms are less severe at the time. A preventative med is better than a rescue med if one will work for you. Singulair isn't cheap though. Since it works so well, I have to wonder what kind of long term damage will be done. There always seems to be a trade off....

Take a look at the ingredients in your albuterol inhaler. The propellant that gets the medicine into you is basically freon. Yep, freon like they use in air conditioning systems. Since freon is known to damage the ozone, it has to go, just like CFCs in aerosol spray cans had to go years ago. They found a way to make our spray cans work without an ozone-depleting chemical, so they'll make the inhalers work too. But they'll likely cost more....
Talk about trade-offs....Foradil works well BUT....I get muscle cramps in my hands and arches of my feet. I now have to take magnesium and calcium vitamins to balance it all out.

One problem solved, many arise. At least I can breathe.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Talk about trade-offs....Foradil works well BUT....I get muscle cramps in my hands and arches of my feet. I now have to take magnesium and calcium vitamins to balance it all out.

One problem solved, many arise. At least I can breathe.
Using your hands and feet -- optional.
Breathing -- mandatory!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
My asthma sparked up real bad since I have moved into a new house 4 months ago. My triggers are dust, dust mite, and cat dander. All of which were present in the new home. I was fine for years up until recently, and became ill for 4 weeks. I finally realized I needed some treatment!

I was puffing on my albuterol every few hours until it became ineffective. That is a scary feeling, let me tell you. It just so happens that it was the same day I was scheduled to see the allergist.

The doc put me on 2 meds, Foradil and Asmenex, both are non-aerosol powder that is inhaled. I think they work great. Foradil is similiar to Albuterol except is safe for everyday use and is the anti-inflammatory. Asmenex is the controlling steriod. She still recommended that I carry Albuterol for attacks.

Albuterol is only supposed to be used for attacks, and they do not recommend to use it more than twice a week or month, I forget. I heard that long term inhalation of the aerosol is not good for you.

Since I have been ill, I ripped out the old carpeting and had the wood floors refinished, and purchased a new bed (dust mites live in them). It has been an expensive journey in attempt to make my home asthma friendly!

I can breathe now. My meds cost $60 (no generic available right now) a month right now with insurance.
There are times where I still use albuterol twice a day.....

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have asthma, have since i was a kid, I had not heard anything about getting rid of albuterol. I sure hope they dont. All the long acting inhalors have never done anything for me

1 - 20 of 26 Posts