Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Never

Votes: 42 54.5%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how many of you have been stranded till the starter solenoid cooled off. I've had three running chevelles (66,67,66) and all would do this in the summer. Stock and performance,, it didn't matter.
I'm having a little to much fun with the poll,,, :)

·
Premium Member
5,687 Posts
I run a gear reduction starter, so the solenoid isn't as close to the headers, plus there's more space and it's lighter.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Many many Years ago with my first big block Chevelle it was a huge issue. Go for smokes then have to smoke a few and wait till she cooled off. A major pain.
With all the upgrades happening today I am still surprised how for 5 years since I bought this car it has not been an issue at all.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help,,tho I found out this stuff the hard way. Just wondering how many have had this problem cause I hated it.
Got that mustang beside you at the pump,, waiting for you to pull out and my car won't start. I now use shield on my stock Chevelle and header wrap, shield with a gear reduction starter. It's great,,, Thank Guys,,, Joey

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
I installed a gear reduction starter, wrapped the header in the area of the starter and put a heat shield on the starter and put a remote solenoid on the fire wall and never have a problem. Used too carry a pull strpa since it would never start hot. No more problem

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
The simplest and best solution is to use the ford or equivalent remote solenoid.

Cheap, easy and effective.

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
Never stranded but several hard starts when I first got the 66. Installed a Summit remote kit and havent had a problem since. My battery is also in the trunk.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I had bad hot start problems seven years ago. Ended up being corroded battery cables. I replaced them with some 2/0 gauge cables. No problems since :) .

I replaced the starter, battery, and bought a heat shield for the new starter. No workie. The new battery cables are what solved the problem.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Might be a stupid question , but I understand the heat shield for the starter but don't understand what difference having the battery in the trunk would make? Thx

I was just stating that because the distance between the battery and starter can make a hot start problem even worse. I am in the process of re-wiring my battery switch and remote solenoid before spring.

·
Registered
788 Posts
From a previous post:

Well, again I have to say I love this forum. I had the classic heat soak issue with my SB400 and trunk battery. I followed the advice I read in numerous threads and installed an Optima Red Top batt. new cables, fresh connections throughout and moved the batt to the engine compartment for a shorter battery cable run. The car starts like a young stallion, cold or hot!!

I should also add I grounded to the Frame and then from the Frame to the Engine.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Ever since I changed my inital timing from 0° to 16° for 36° total. The car loves it, starter does not. SB with headers.

It left me stranded a few times. Once at my folks house and had to use a leaf blower to cool the solenoid. Another at a gas station and had to have the wife bring a gallon of cold water and long funnel to cool it off.

I will be replacing the battery cables and ordering a high torque mini from www.dbelectrical.com soon. Hopefully, that will do the trick.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I never had this problem until I put everything back to original. I had headers and went to stock manifolds. I had a correct starter rebuilt also. Could it be the repo battery cables from M&H are not big enough?
I heard it could be.....
hot starter
poor ground
small cables
gas line getting hot
timing off
battery too small

1 - 20 of 27 Posts