Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way to figure out how many LS6 cars are exactly like mine?

1970 LS6/M22
No Stripes/No Cowl Induction
Bench Seat/4sp
Dual Snorkle Air Cleaner
Vinyl Top

Any ideas??

martyb

·
Registered
13,007 Posts
Simple answer....NO. If it was a 70 Mustang, yes, but Chevrolet did not keep track of how many cars were built with certain combinations. We can only speculate at numbers, except that we know there were supposedly 4475 LS6 engines built for 1970. I'm gonna say there were actually quite a few cars built with few options like yours.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have only heard of 4 with my configuration so far. Reggie Jackson had 2 I believe, but I don't know if his cars had the dual snorkle air cleaner.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Remember GM built more LS6 Chevelles in '70 than LS5s and since CI hood, stripes, buckets, automatic were all added cost options, there were probably quite a few built like that. Also consider, how many LS6 cars that were restored ADDING things like functional cowl, buckets and stripes?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Marty,
Your combo is actually fairly common. Out of the dozen or so LS6 coupes I've had, I'd say 2/3rds of them were non functional hood cars and only 1 was an open element car originally. Out of those, around half were bench seat cars. By another comparison, out of all of the LS6 buildsheets I've collected, most of the non functional hood cars had CO for the air cleaner code versus SS for the open element. I believe most of these cars have long since lost their original air cleaners as most probably found or thought them too restrictive when these cars were fairly new.
Makes surviving examples that much cooler in my opinion.
Chris

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Chris, I thought that most of the LS6 cars had cowl induction. I did not realize that many did not, thought I had a rarer than normal LS6. Glad I kept that air cleaner though!! When my dad bought the car, it had an 850 holley with an open element air cleaner. The original owner of the car called my dad many years after my dad bought the car from him, and told my dad to come by and pick up the original carb and air cleaner. I had no idea how rare the dual snorkle was, or how few of them were left. I almost made a cold air set-up out of it, I am certainly glad I never hacked it up.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I agree with Chris, Marty. It may have been fairly common in '70 but it is unique now and worth keeping that way. I like the fact that my car is bench seat/column shift just for the same reason - a lot were built that way but few have survived without being converted to buckets and console making it less common today.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.