Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have what I think/thought to be a 100 amp alternator in my 66. It is a 1 wire and it says it is kicking out 72 amps at the battery tested by Advance Auto. Is this too low? I have a red Optima battery in it that has 720 or more CCA and according to them the amps are too low. My amp gauge never worked right and the battery is in the trunk so does this seem right? I have an electric fan, AC, CD, cruise, and other things sucking the power down. After about 2 weeks it goes dead. I'm not sure if it is a relay or thermostat or stereo or short.

Do I need a bigger/higher amp alternator? Like a 160? In order for me to run all the accessories?

·
Registered
169 Posts
before you start swapping batteries and alternators, id like to ask two things. One what size battery cables are you running to the trunk. Second what was the charging amps at the alternator. It may be that your cables are too small to carry that much current so far, called voltage drop. You should be running a zero gauge cable. Also the alternator should be between 85 and 115 amps, rooughly. How are they measuring the amps? A VAT 40 would be perfect for you to use, but only shops have them.

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I run a 2 gauge from trunk to the front. Not sure about at the ALT, just what they stuck on it in the trunk. What should I look for at the alt. BTW I have a 4 gauge going from the Alt to my cut off switch up front in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Tried measuring the voltage, at the battery, with everything on? 14 volts should keep the battery up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts