Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen, I haven't posted in a long time & hope this is the right forum to ask about how many 66 375 hp SS 396 Chevelles were made that year. What I vaguely know is that they did not appear until October of 1965.
Thanks, Raymond

·
Super Moderator
1966 Chevelle SS396
8,278 Posts
3,099 L78 Chevelle/El Caminos in 1966.

I don't believe there is a breakdown of how many were Chevelles and how many were El Caminos. There have been some estimates made, but no concrete breakdown as far as I know.

Why, do you have one?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. Fremont built too. The reason I'm asking about production numbers is that I'm thinking about trading for a 65 396/425 hp SS Impala. My next question is do you know how many L78 Impalas were produced?
Thanx

·
Super Moderator
1966 Chevelle SS396
8,278 Posts
I found this statement in about 2 minutes of Googling:

There were 1,838 1965 full-size Chevrolets built with the L78 396/425HP engine.
That figure came up a couple different places, and it rings a bell in the remains of my brain, so it may be correct. :rolleyes:

:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
19,754 Posts
I found this statement in about 2 minutes of Googling:

That figure came up a couple different places, and it rings a bell in the remains of my brain, so it may be correct. :rolleyes:

:thumbsup:
According to Tailfins & Bowties, 1838 is correct for 1965 L78 full size cars. Pretty good really since the 396 didn't get into production until February or so of 1965.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Tony!
How have you been? I've had my fun with the Chevelle and have been looking to trade for a black on black SS Impala that I've kept my eye on for over 15 years. I could have had it then for about 10k and a buddy recently bought it for 23k in a distressed sale. He wants money plus my car to trade but I'm not in agreement. The 962 block is correct but the heads and intake are for a 66 BB and the super rare 3130 carb is missing. They made
3,099 '66 L78 Chevelles & El Cams. 65 L78 Chevrolets were 1,838 and thats where he feels his is worth more. Raymond

·
Premium Member
17,402 Posts
Hi Tony!
How have you been? I've had my fun with the Chevelle and have been looking to trade for a black on black SS Impala that I've kept my eye on for over 15 years. I could have had it then for about 10k and a buddy recently bought it for 23k in a distressed sale. He wants money plus my car to trade but I'm not in agreement. The 962 block is correct but the heads and intake are for a 66 BB and the super rare 3130 carb is missing. They made
3,099 '66 L78 Chevelles & El Cams. 65 L78 Chevrolets were 1,838 and thats where he feels his is worth more.
Raymond
Been pretty good. Busy, but good (well, a little too busy, so I haven't been playing with the Chevelles as much as I'd like)...

More L78 Chevelles, but the Chevelle is generally more popular in Muscle car circles than the full-size, plus its a lighter car... Its not always the lowest production that has a higher value, desirability in the marketplace also drives up the value... They are both rare cars...

I used to have a '65 non-SS Impala convert (327/PG)... I miss that car (it was my grandmothers, but I lost my storage and had to sell)...

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Numbers don't always equate to desirability.

I'm sure I'm a bit biased toward the Chevelle but I would think the Chevelle is a more desirable car.

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
Since your car is original. And one of my dream cars. Plus the Impala is missing some very hard if not impossible to find #s parts. I would just consider keeping your Chevelle.

·
Premium Member
4,349 Posts
you have a 66 L78 Chevelle and you are tired of it? :confused:

I love Impalas especially 65-66 but it is no match for the 66 Chevelle

·
Premium Member
3,583 Posts
I have a 63 Impala SS with vinyl top believed to be factory. Very rare (less than 3% of 1963 Impala 2-dr hardtops had it). But I would not trade my 66 Chevelle L78 for ten equal condition 1963 Impalas ... So the small total built does not necessarily equate to big total value. Just my opinion!

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Just so we have Apples with Apples the Impala is the Correct Original #'s matching block with 66 858 heads in place of the 208's . Also you state the 3130 carb is missing ??? Just tring to get a picture of the Impala. Now the Chevelle is Corrrect original #'s matching L-78 correct down to the idler, rad, carb, pulley's etc ????. Thanks Jim. You will see where I am going once I get that info !!!!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Check your PM.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tony, that's what I figured. The Chevelle is worth more regardless of the rarity of the Impala. He will have to give me money to make the trade. 3130 carbs can go for up to a
couple of g's, 208 heads up to 3k, intake about $700-800, the idler (which is the same for
the L78 Chevelle) goes for maybe $400. So let's say about 5k in costs. Luckily, I happen to have most parts as extras for my BB Vett. Anyway, I would ask 5k to boot with the Impala in trade. Raymond

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Chevelle has Hooker headers instead of the original chokers. The rest of the hardware is all there although I do not know about the correct radiator. How do you tell?
It also has a fan clutch and shroud. Raymond

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Droptop,
My L78 has headers but everything else is right. And ironically, the idler came from another 65 396/425 hp Impala. The correct parts this Impala is missing could easily cost over 5k although luckily I have many of those spare parts. In any case, I would have to take at least 5k and the Impala in trade.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I think you would have a big case of seller's remorse very soon after the trade. Comparing an L78 '66 Chevelle to an L78 Impala is like comparing a Corvette to a Corvair. You should also consider that if you ever decide to sell the Impala, the buyer's pool will be microscopic in comparison with the pool of potential Chevelle buyers.

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
I think you would have a big case of seller's remorse very soon after the trade. Comparing an L78 '66 Chevelle to an L78 Impala is like comparing a Corvette to a Corvair. You should also consider that if you ever decide to sell the Impala, the buyer's pool will be microscopic in comparison with the pool of potential Chevelle buyers.
Well, I dont know if its quite that dramatic. To be fair to the guy with the Impala. The high horse Impalas have been consistently going up in value. But I see what your saying none of the less.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts