Team Chevelle banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just about have all the major sheet metal work done. Ive got two new quarters and two new fenders. after some persuasion, the panels fit pretty well. Im now about to pull the body off and start on the frame. my goal is to get the frame painted and then return to the body.

my question is, how long can the car sit with just primer? what about with just filler or even bare metal (i know it will flash rust, but is that all that bad)? Im either going to fill, epoxy then urethane or epoxy, fill then urethane. but, either way its going to take me a while between steps and even more time before i have it straight enough to paint.

the car will be garaged in SoCal so im not too concerned about moisture, especially with summer approaching.

thanks, Tim

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
It would be a good idea to use an etching primer on the bare metal and then some normal primer over the etching primer for sanding/blocking. I wouldn't let bare metal sit exposed for more than a couple days, even if the car is in a garage.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would epoxy it asap. It shouldn't flash rust to fast but there is no reason to chance it. The epoxy will form a stronger bond with the metal than the etch primer will. Out here we have very moist air most of the year and flash rust can happen as quick as overnight.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I've heard of people driving cars around for years in epoxy. I wouldn't do it, but I think sitting in a garage in epoxy, you'd do just fine. I'm heard that etch primer won't prevent rust to the same degree.

·
Premium Member
7,681 Posts
Rough finish your metal work, the get a good coat od DP over the whole thing. Then do your filler work if you want. Just get it protected, so you don't lose all your hard work.

·
Registered
245 Posts
As soon as the exposed metal is in the air its begining to rust ,even from touching it wtih your hand and the oils you have. I epoxy prime as soon as possible because it is nn excellent foundation to start your body work on just scuff it with or DA 180 grit first. Primer that is catalized ( hardners added to them) set-up and become very hard and must be sanded before any basecoat or single stage,but you can leave the primer on as long as you want.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I would also become familiar with the product sheets for the primer you choose. The primers I've used say in the sheets that there is a recoat window. In that window (or time frame) I can topcoat without any scuffing or sanding. Outside this window I have to scuff or sand before applying another coat or things won't work right. I'm not the quickest doing bodywork but if the car has been sitting a while in primer I can block sand on it but if I want to shoot some more primer I sand it out to the edges so it all adheres properly.

I too would get it sealed up with a good epoxy primer.

Jim

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if i strip the car, then coat with epoxy, then do the filler, i know there will be areas that i end up sanding through. what would i do with these areas? do you guys normally just mix up a small batch of epoxy and spray the small spots, or just let it sit till you get it all done and then epoxy. if i let it sit and light sand the bare metal, would i be risking disaster?

also, if i coat with epoxy and then do the filler work, how long can i leave the filler exposed.

thanks, tim

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Epoxy primer is going to provide the best protection. If you do epoxy then filler, you will end up with some bare spots. Just scuff up those bare metal areas with 80 grit and spot prime with epoxy.

There is NO excat time frame you can leave something exposed. Its always best to prime it right away.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts