Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my tach has power to red wire (power wire), but the other wire on the one piece connection that plugs in doesn't have power. Is that the wire that goes to the coil? How do I hook it up through the wiring harness? I have a wiring diagram for the vehicle, but it has NO information on how the tach is hooked up. I have an HEI ignition, will that affect the accuracy of the tach?

------------------
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> Imports are good, I just ate one!
<LI> '68 El Camino w/327 Turbo 350, P/everything, one rare Mailbu'
<LI> Team Chevelle Member #1289
<LI> 1995 Impala SS (I wish it was mine, not my dad's)
[/list]

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Typically the older GM tach's have a + power lead coming out of them for the 12 volts, they [the tach] get their ground thru the actual metal mounting bracket that bolts to the dash, and another lead (usually darker colored like brown) goes to the coil. If I'm wrong, someone please chime in.

HEI shouldn't be a problem. You need to connect the tach's sensor wire to the "TAC" terminal on the HEI cap's connection area.

[This message has been edited by Coppertop (edited 06-06-2001).]

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nathan, Coppertop is exactly right. That's how I hooked the "roll tach" up on my '68. Works great and is accurate with an HEI.
I think the roller tach is one of the coolest features of the '68. I've never seen another tach like it. Bill Shipley

------------------
Bill Shipley My68

1 - 3 of 3 Posts