Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '70 and I need a under hood light and a washer fluid monitor with the sender in the fluid tank. Is it hard to find someone with these? Also, if anyone has either one please post an image of the sender and the monitor. Mine originally came with these and that's why I need them. Thanks!

------------------
1970 Chevy Custom El Camino non-SS aka Kaileigh
Built on: November 25, 1969 in Baltimore
Green Mist #45 w/Green Vinyl Top
350ci/300HP 4bbl Small Block
Factory Dual Exhaust and Rally Wheels
www.dreamelectric.com

[This message has been edited by Shawn (edited 10-19-99).]

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mr70MonteCarlo: I hope your selling those parts because I really need them to make my restoration complete (I haven't started yet but they'll help in the end).
Did you get my email? Probably not because each time I tried it wouldn't go through.

[This message has been edited by Shawn (edited 10-10-99).]

·
Registered
425 Posts
Shawn,

I have the fluid monitor system and the under hood light. It was part of the auxilary lighting option group which also included the map reading light on the rear view mirror, light in ash tray, glove box and trunk light.

I don't have a digital camera so I can't post pictures quickly. I will take some pictures and when we finish the roll I'll post them.

Bill

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bill, thanks and be sure to post the pictures. My elky does have the auxiliary light system from the looks of the build sheet (I also looked at the car) and it has everything except the trunk light. Is that a rare option? My elky's also got power windows, dual exhaust and rally wheels even though it's a non-SS.

[This message has been edited by Shawn (edited 10-11-99).]

·
Registered
934 Posts
Bill T & Shawn,

Just want to add a little to this conversation. If im correct you should also have the courtesy lights under both ends of the dash and under hood light. I think that both were part of the lighting package as well.

I was lucky recently to have found a 72 Malibu in the junk yard that had this package and I got all of those goodies. The car was loaded. Even had bucket seats, floor shifter, rear defogger, rally wheels, etc, etc. Not an SS though.

As for the trunk light, that was very common even without the lighting package. You could check other models/makes of GM cars in your local salvage yard. Impala's, Cadillac's, Buicks, etc should all have the same light.

P.S. I looked for that window washer monitor but no good. (How I hoped!)

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 Chevy stepside 350

Bob's 409 Chevy Page

silverstone.fortunecity.com/tvr/246/bob_s_409_chevy_page_index.html

·
Registered
425 Posts
Here is a picture. It contains the washer fluid tank and the indicator under the dash.
Hope these are what you wanted. I have several other pictures if you need some additional shots.

If you need info on how the unit functions let me know. It uses a fiber optic cable to carry the light from the monitor to the indicator under the dash.
Bill
www.chevelles.com/showroom/FluidMonitor

[This message has been edited by Bill T SS70 (edited 10-16-99).]

·
Registered
934 Posts
Shawn,

My last trip to the local junk yard, I checked out some under hood lights. I found 2 newer Chevy's, a 1981 Impala and a 1984 Caprice that had the same under hood light as the 72 Chevelle I mentioned earlier.
At least they looked identical to me. GM probably used the same light on all these cars. It's such a simple design, why change it?

I have noticed them in the parts catalogs too but they are expensive. I opted to go with a used one that had a trip through my sandblasting cabinet (very old sand works best-looks like its been bead blasted), then paint.

If your interested in a lighted ashtray, check out National Parts Depot. http://www.npd.link They have that item for $9.95

BillT,

That washer monitor is cool. Any idea of how many were ordered and if it was only available on the 1970 Chevelle? I'll have to keep an eye out for one of those.

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 Chevy stepside 350

Bob's 409 Chevy Page

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bill I would like to know how it works. I'd be interested in finding that out. Thanks

·
Registered
425 Posts
Ok, here is simply how it works:

As you look at the picture, the 2 wires coming in from the right are connected to a light bulb in the monitor. The monitor has a long tube that sticks down into the fluid jar. Inside the tube is a long rod that has a "float" on the bottom. On the very top of the rod it is RED, just below the red it is green. As long as there is fluid in the jar, the float hits up against the top of the monitor and light shines through the "green area". When the fluid is low, the float drops down and light shines thru the RED.

On the left side, the black line is fiber optic cable that carries the Red or Green light to the indicator under the dash. The indicator then is always either Red or Green.

Hope this is clear enough. If not, let me know.

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill T SS70 (edited 10-17-99).]

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, Bill I understand it but where does the bulb wires hook up to? I have a wiring diagram and its not shown. Also, where would the underhood light wires hook up to? Thanks again.

·
Registered
934 Posts
That is so cool!

"For the man who has everything!"

Anyone know if these were installed on any other GM cars like Cadillac's, Buicks, Pontiacs, etc? I want one!

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 Chevy stepside 350

Bob's 409 Chevy Page

·
Registered
425 Posts
Shawn,

I'll look at my wiring tonight and let you know.

The fluid monitor is switched power but the under hood light is always hot.

Bob,
As for the ashtray light, it is also a fiber optic light. The fiber optic line is connected to one of the dash cluster lights and then connects into the top of the ashtray.
Also, yes I have the courtesy lights under both ends of the dash. I don't know if they were standard or part of the light package.

Later,
Bill

·
Registered
321 Posts
The courtesy lights were NOT standard on any car EXCEPT convertibles. It is conceivable that you'd need interior lights with the top down at some point. No dome light with the top down, so underdash courtesy lights were standard.

------------------
??michael j Team Chevelle Gold #77
70 Chevelle SS396 4sp, Fathom Blue/White Stripes - Canadian built

·
Registered
934 Posts
Michael J,

I just removed courtesy lights from a 1972 hardtop and it had all the other lights as well (map light, ashtray, etc). If it wasn't part of the lighting package, it was at least optional on more than the convertible.

Any lighting experts here?

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 Chevy stepside 350

Bob's 409 Chevy Page

·
Registered
425 Posts
I just tried to chase the wires. The 2 wires for the washer monitor light runs along side the wiring harness and go up to a connector close to and part of the wiper motor.

The under hood light uses the hood for ground. It has a single black wire that also runs along side the wiring harness until about 1/2 way between the firewall and radiator support where there is a fuse socket then the wire goes into the wiing harness and goes toward the radiator support. I don't know where exactly it connects on the radiator support but it's always hot.

Hope this helps,

Bill

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.