Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine is overheating mysteriously. I think the clutch on my stock GM fan is dead. Is there a way to check?
Please read my post in Troubleshooting.

------------------
jack
Ft.Lauderdale, FL
gold #163

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Jack, didn;t have time to check the other post, but the clutch is a simple thermal mechanism. The fan should spin "loosely" when she's cold ( if it's slow enough you can ALMOST just grab it) and should be locked up 1:1 when it's hot. With the motor up to operating temp, if you goose the throttle, the fan blade should respond accordingly.

·
Gold Founding Member
63,360 Posts
Here is waht I was told by a Chevy dealership Service tech;

With the engine warmed up to operation temp
Use a piece of old heater hose about two or three feet long, fold it in half and hold, two ends and see if you can stop the blade with the folded end by jaming it into the blade, If the blade stops, the clutch is bad.

------------------
Dean Call
Team Gold member #3
A.C.E.S. # 00235
N.C.O.A. # 4350
Mid America Chevelle Club #001
chevelles.net

·
Registered
336 Posts
woah thats a recipe for disaster

with the motor off try to spin the fan as fast as you can by hand. it shouldnt turn more than once before it slows down.. thats how mine was..

------------------

Mike Reeh
Gold #34
San Diego, CA

·
Registered
72 Posts
Dean that is a good way to test ,, I am sure you mean to carefully jam the hose into fan ,, not all at once
another thing to look for is oil leaking out of fan clutch and it should turn even when cold with a fair amout of resistance ,, and the hose check method will only work if the engine in warmed up good ,, but I like the idea

------------------
John
Catapiller Mechanic
Salinas,Ca
70SS 454 Clone {in construction}

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.