Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing HEI trigering components in a Points Style Distributor. To do this, I turned down the part of the distributor(about 1/8")where the points plate rides (vacuum advance rotates the plate) to get enough clearance to mount the HEI reluctor/coil assembly. Under this area is a felt washer, a plastic "seal" and then some "chambers" that had what appeared to be dried out grease or VERY "dried out oil". I pulled 3 distrubutors apart, 2 points type and one HEI. They all appeared to have the same substance in these chambers.

WHAT IS THE SUBSTANCE? Is it grease from original installation or is it "dried out oil"?

The chambers (described above) are around the upper bushing and there are two holes thru the bushing that connects to the chambers.

IS OIL COMMING THRU THE BUSHING INTO THE CHAMBERS OR IS LUBE COMMING FROM THE CHAMBERS INTO THE BUSHING?

Now that I have turned down the part of the distributor, I no longer have room to install the "plastic seal".

WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF I USE THE DISTRIBUTOR WITHOUT THE "PLASTIC SEAL" INSTALLED? Will it let oil go up into the upper part of the distrubutor?

If the lube comes from the chambers into the bushing, what kind of lube should I put into the chambers when I reassemble the distributor?

Thanks, Joel

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Joel,
I've never done the type of conversion you described but I have rebuilt a few stock points-type distributors.

The only thing I have done is replace the packing(in the chambers) and oil it with SAE 20 oil. The plastic seal gets destroyed when it is removed and I've always replaced it with a new one. I don't know what to tell you since cannot install the oil seal. I would think oil will get into the upper part of the disty. Maybe someone else can chime in here with an answer.

------------------
-Mark TC# 717
ACES #1641
1967 Chevelle SS396/375(20 year old Polaroid pics. Sorry)
1967 RailVelle Handles like its on rails!
1964 Chevelle 283/195
1975 Corvette 396/375 Looks are very deceiving!

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,186 Posts
Joel,

that stuff is the original grease installed when the the dist was built. It does dry out over the years. I usually clean out the cavity, pack it with pieces of shop rag, soak it with 30-wt motor oil, put the seal back. This seal is the only seal that can keep blowby crankcase pressure from entering the dist, but it does not look to me like it's a good enough seal to really do any good there. I've seen numerous high-mileage, high blowby Chevy engines that seemed to be getting oil in the dist from this route. Proper engine ventilation via the PCV and breather seem to be the key here. There's not oil pressure in the dist itself, so it's not a pressure leak. It's only when there's a lot of blowby and nowhere else for it to go that it fills up the dist with oil.

Of course, your milage may vary... Free advice is sometimes worth at least as much as you pay for it.

Tom

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tom, reading your reply got me thinking about the "blowby". It seems to me that oil can still get to the top of distributor, even if the seal is in place. In order to get to the seal it only has 2 small holes (in the upper bushing) it can go thru. I would think it would "be easier" for the oil mist to travel to the top of the bushing and out than to go thru the 2 small holes and thru the seal area.

I think I will try it w/o the seal and check periodicaly to see if oil or oil mist is getting into the top of the distributor. If it is, I can turn down the tops of the "chambers" enought to allow me to install a seal. I don't have a lathe so I don't want to do it if I don't have to.

Thanks to both of you for informing me that the "substance in the cavities" is "the original grease".

1BadRat, where can I get a new seal if I find I need to install one?

Thanks, Joel

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.