Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sheared the wire off the temp sending guage (mechanical type, in the head) and so I soldered it back on (it also happens to be the ground for the oil & water temp guage lights) and now the temp guage doesnt work.. however the lights do work... I made sure that the wire didnt touch the surrounding metal but now im thinking maybe its supposed to? Im guessing by saying it works on resistance, and if it was touching the surrounding metal (a little sleeve that comes outfrom the probe) it will be grounded to the rest of the block and obviously not give a correct reading... or is it not so obvious??

please help.. .thanks

Mike Reeh
Gold #34

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hey Mike,
Most temp senders are thermocouples; electrical devices that change their internal resistance as they change temperture. Usually they have maximum resistance at room temperture and close to zero at a predetermined "hot" point. The heat from trying to solder the post back onto yours may have destroyed it. Agree with Tom. Also see post to CT this date on "can I calibrate my temp gauge". mgg

·
Registered
339 Posts
Mechanical gauges don't use wires. This is a really small pipe that carries pressure to the gauge head. HIgher temp, higher pressure. When it broke the fluid or whatever was in it leaked out and the solder plugged it up too. I wouldn't use this for a ground either. tom

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay I beleive that maybe it needs to be replaced, but, it is most definately not a pipe sending pressure to the guage... it is solid copper.. i beleive it works on the same principle that the thermometers that connect to digital multi-meters do... there is no pipes involved with those

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.