13,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious how we all use our cars.

Reactions: fishhead

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
Mostly street.
I've had mine to the track three times in 19 years.
But,I do like to "Hot Dog" it whenever I get the chance !!
Guy

·
Registered
1968 Chevelle Malibu, upgraded to a 396/TH400 from a 327/PG
567 Posts
I drive it to work once a week when weather permits. I also like to take it out on nice weekends. Took it on a nice extended cruise weekend before last while Mrs. Ghaasl and her mother were getting mother/daughter tattoos for her mom’s 60th birthday. It was a perfect Saturday for a cruise. While I’m cruising, there’s at least one full throttle blast, shifting at 5800 rpm. That‘s what they were built for, right?

Reactions: WHT/73

·
Registered
307 Posts
Since I brought my ‘70 MC home, it’s never seen a trailer and I average about four trips a year to the track - only time trials at this point. About 1500 miles a year

·
Registered
111 Posts
Is there room to add another option.
3. It sits on the garage and this money at it hoping the elves will get their shit together and get it finished the way I want it. And when I taken it out on the rare chance I enjoy it but I spend more time looking at gauges and making sure everything is fine. And then I bring it home, wash it, shower to get the unburnt gas smell off and think about the things I want to finish in it.

If that Can be an option, that would be great.

Or maybe just make it: Not enough, wish I could use it more. And with winter coming even gets less.

:)

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I would vote for this option - that is me too! Also, as soon as I fix one thing, something else breaks and it's down again. sigh

Is there room to add another option.
3. It sits on the garage and this money at it hoping the elves will get their shit together and get it finished the way I want it. And when I taken it out on the rare chance I enjoy it but I spend more time looking at gauges and making sure everything is fine. And then I bring it home, wash it, shower to get the unburnt gas smell off and think about the things I want to finish in it.

If that Can be an option, that would be great.

Or maybe just make it: Not enough, wish I could use it more. And with winter coming even gets less.

:)

·
Registered
36 Posts
She's a cruiser. Try to take it out at least once or twice a week weather permitting ,then around Oct 1st it goes into winter storage. Go to an occasional car show (not to display her, I usually park with the general public, but to look at other peoples accomplishments. Seems nobody in this area is interested in camino's). When I cruise its mostly on country roads. Roads in the Quad Cities are like driving on a washboard.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
And even anther option: My car sits in the garage until I have time to drive it. I think i've driven it a half dozen times this year and I finally got it running great this year.
And of course when I do have the chance to take her out, it starts raining.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Same here...just cruising and a few shows. No racing on or off the track. Seems I bring out the bad in some guys...meaning they see me in my 70 Chevelle and they feel the need to rev their motor as they get close to me. I have guys hollering "light em up" and stuff like that. You know, I am past that stage in my life which was my HS years. I have nothing I need to prove. I just do not feel a 50 year old Chevelle needs to prove anything nor do I need to put it through that kind of abuse. I treat it good and it treats me to excellent performance.

·
Registered
‘66 Malibu Sport Coupe
67 Posts
Street mostly, although I've taken her to the strip a couple times now in 20 years, mostly just to get it out of my system and for the pics/video :) but I'll go with a mix of what Monkey and 1775SS said above, sadly she sits in the garage more than I like, but I vowed to get her out more this year and have, a lot more, and have gotten a few last but long-overdue items on the checklist done/fixed too - rear emblem, clutch fan, and now a steering wheel restoration in progress...

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Just drive it weather permitting

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Just a cruiser for me driven 5-6 times a month in only good weather. Keeps the battery charged and the fuel never stays in the tank long enough to get stale. I don't even fill it to the top unless its a longer trip.

Rick

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Mine has been holding my lift down for 2 yrs now. Well every once and a while I'll take it off to work on one of my kids cars! lol
Had to finish a couple of projects around the house.
I need to get back out there!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,752 Posts
I've done a bit of everything with mine over the years, first mods were done with handling in mind to carve canyons before anybody had heard of protouring. Wanted to drag race, got there, got tired of blowing up stuff and having to save up to fix it. Just got it back on the road after 3 years, goal is just to put miles on it as a powerful cruiser after the bugs are worked out. I have a separate car I'm building just as a dedicated dragstrip car. There's too much compromise in a street/strip car.

Devin

·
Premium Member
2,927 Posts
I pretty much just race my 71. It has plates, insurance, interior, wipers, heater, horn etc. mostly just drive it around the block to load it on my trailer. Pretty much every Friday and most Saturdays I’m at the track...only 20 mins away..

·
Premium Member
6,486 Posts
Almost just streetdriven, taken it to the strip 2 or 3 times. But it mostly sits in the garage especially this year.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts