Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on restoring the dash/controls on my '67. Everything that can be unbolted from the dash and firewall is off. What I am wondering is what order I should put everthing back together. Should I assemble everything into the dash (the metal removeable part) before I put it back in the car? should I put the pedals in first, or last? Just looking for someone who has done this before for advice.

Thanks,
Steve

------------------
MY PROJECTS
1967 Chevelle SS396 - Currently under construction

1970 Camaro RS Z28-
Currently thinking about it

1986 IROC Z28-
My daily driver, always under construction.

[This message has been edited by snydes (edited 09-14-2001).]

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Snydes, When reassembling my car I always tried to make it as easy on myself as possible and reinstalled in an order that made it as easy as possible.
If you did the disassembly you should have a pretty good feel for what should go first and so on.
It's pretty much the reverse of the first time. Good Luck!
PS If you are like me you will be at step 8 then remember you skipped step 3

------------------
TC #364
Aces #4309
Jeff's 69

·
Registered
859 Posts
It's better to be at step #8 when you remember #3 than when it's all back together and you have this tiny little metal strip left over...Hm-mm. Where the heck did this come from? Oh dang! It the little ground strap that goes on the back on the instrument cluster...can't reach to install it...out comes the dash again. It happened to me. I've always detested removing dashes even though way back when, I installed several gauge packages in Chevelles/Montes.

·
Premium Member
19,751 Posts
Except for the switches and lighter, everything is pretty easy to get to on a 66/67 dash - at least for me - and the dash itself is pretty easy to "hang" back into place with the switches and cluster in place. Personally, I'd reassemble the dash components, less heater controls/glove box liner and radio, before mounting the dash. Include the gauge pod, switches, lighter, dash strip, and then position the dash, connect the wiring, then finish hanging it in place. If you have the dash resting in place on the steering column, there is enough room to get your hand between the top of the dash and the firewall panel to hook up the ignition switch, light switch, etc.

------------------
Dale McIntosh
TC Gold #92
ACES #1709
http://www.dalesplace.com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.