Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do you tell if your piston rings and other internal engine componets are wearing down or close to wearing out etc..other than loss of performance noises and other weird things?this is kind of a dumb ? but i asked it anyways to see what id come up with?be nice!!other than a compression check for the piston rings how often do they wear down and also what internal engine pieces tend to wear down the fastest and how long?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just my $.02 The compression test will tell you alot. As long as all the cylinders are within an acceptable amount of each other. And oil pressure will tell you how the bearings are doing. If the gap becomes too large between the bearing and the surface it's riding on, oil pressure will drop.

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
A leakdown test will show that as well. It will also allow you to hear where the air is escaping, letting you know what is worn. On my worn out 350, there is quite a bit of leakdown, and you hear the air escaping from the dipstick tube, meaning the rings are leaking some. Leakdown testers are about $60.

Chris

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
All correct. Compression tester is about $15 at Sears. Its easiest.

E.G., while the 67's motor can go to Nashville and back on 1.25 qts, come to find that 7-8 trips up to 7000 thru 3 gears moves about 1 qt+.

Hmmmmm, either an incorrect PCV or rings are showing their wear.

Cam is a big wear item too.

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 08-22-2001).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.