Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to a friend about the rebuild of the rear on my 68 and a thought came up: How do you support the car when the entire rear assembly is out? Where would you place the jack stands/blocks?

Thanks, Kurt

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
?? No, not really. Just never took the rear out of a car before.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
I said "Listen little buddy. I know you feel all naked without your rear, but hang in there. It will be OK soon."
I'm very supportive like that

I really stuck a large 4x4 under the frame before the rear wheels and supported it with jackstands. Then I chained the 4x4 to the rafters in my garage. You may have to really wrestle with it, so make sure it is secure. It would be below average to smack those control arms out with a dead blow and have the whole thing come tumbling down.

Be safe Kurt.

------------------
Got Chevelles?
Jeff Carpenter
65 Chevelle/65 Elky
67 Elky Project
Team Chevelle Gold #61

·
Registered
66 Posts
i put a set of jack stands in front of the wheel well to support the car. then i put another set of jack stands behind the wheel well on the frame beside the gas tank just in case the two front ones give out and to add a little more safety when working under there. if you need to pull the rear end completely out, just caarfully yank the back jack stands out and then put them back after you have pulled it out. good luck

------------------
65 Malibu SS
2000 S-10 Xtreme

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Charbilly. I hope that was in jest.
But everyone is on the money on this one. The area of the frame where it widens in front of the wheelwells makes that an ideal place to set jackstands, concrete blocks, large wood blocks, or whatever is strong enough to support the weight of the vehicle.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yes, Charbilly. Not cool. Not cool at all.

Sometimes you have to think (even if just having fun with it) how the typed word doesn't convey what you're thinking, and you just end up coming across as a jacka$$

------------------
70 Impala Sport Coupe (350)
67 Chevelle (I wish, still looking and saving)
http://www.geocities.com/ledsled_26m

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by charbilly2001:
On the frame in front of the rear wheel well. You are new to this aren't you?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're new HERE. Don't get smart. Be helpful. Over and out.

------------------
Sean Thomas
TC #907 ACES #4468
1970 Chevelle SS 396
2002 Camaro SS LS1

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
OK guys take a deep breath! It was meant in jest. My apologies to anyone who was offended. I guess it never occured to me, after 40 years of being an auto mechanic, that someone who is working on a high performance car wouldn't know how to support the rear end of the car to remove the rear end. I will be more sensitive in the future.

·
Gold Founding Member
1970 Chevelle Convertible & 1965 Chevelle SS Convertible
1,284 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Kurt, I was thinking you should have Gilbert Brown and his buddies come over and hold the car up until you are done as punishment for getting whitewashed by the Vikings

They have the week off anyway.
I know, I know, the rematch at Lambeau will be a different story.

------------------
TC #364
Aces #4309
Jeff's 69

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Everyone: Thank you for the replys. I kind of figured it would be as y'all suggested, but given the potential for massive disaster were I to be wrong, I thought it best to ask

Jeff: I'm more humiliated by the Badger Hockey team than by anything the Packers have done. The Badgers lost to Wayne State, a 2 year old program who was picked as a sacrifice team so the Badgers could get worked up for the next series.

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
On supporting the car with concrete blocks, I say that is a big no no. I have seen too many cars held up by these fall after the blocks crumble. I use jack stands or I have some 8x8 wood blocks and then shake the car to see if it moves any. If it moves more than I like then I reposition the wood blocks/jack stands.

------------------
The more cubes the better!!!
70 SS 396
71 SS 454 clone 8.8 1/8 on pump gas and 8" slicks
Team Chevelle # 1143

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
This is a good post! I was wondering if the support under the frame was correct or not as I have never done this either (only been wrenching on cars for 15yrs
)

------------------
Ron Cook TC Gold Member #1276
1969 300 Deluxe HTSS396 69 300 Deluxe 325HP L35 69memorylane 1971 Malibu 2DR HT
"Never let fear and good judgement hold you back!"

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by charbilly2001:
I guess it never occured to me, after 40 years of being an auto mechanic, that someone who is working on a high performance car wouldn't know how to support the rear end of the car to remove the rear end. I will be more sensitive in the future. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1. Not offended, just puzzled

2. Been working on cars in 1 form or another for the last 17 years and while I've never rebuilt an engine or bent my own exhaust, I think that gives me at least a working knowledge of the hobby.

3. This is a "Chevelle" site, not a high performance car site. Many of us, including myself, own cars which are far from performance in nature. In fact, mine is quite slow, what with the 250 cid L6 and powerglide tranny. That being the case, I've never had the need to remove the rear or the need to learn how to support the car.

[This message has been edited by Byfield (edited 10-25-2001).]

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
In all honesty, Kurt, I thought you were joking with that post. I nearly posted a smart a$$ remark playing along. Glad someone else took a stab at it first.

Good recovery though charbilly??

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I think Charbilly recovered quite well. Charbilly, Please understand that occasionally, people find their way onto this site who have no interest in cars or Chevelles, that they are looking to entertain themselves by starting trouble in the forums. They pop in and try to start online fights with the other users, or they just try to be a pain in everyone's behind. That's why we took issue with the last sentence in your first reply. We simly didn't know if you were just kidding, or if we had another troublemaker. We have had some problems on this board, so it takes a little while to establish credibility, but once everyone here gets to know you and they know you're legit, then it'll be smooth sailing from there on out. From the info you've shared in some of your other replies in other threads, I've reached the conclusion that you're someone we want on our team. Welcome aboard!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.