Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It clearly doesn't come out from the inside. I have the outer cover off and I see that it has clips. However, the hole looks smaller than the heater core. It would have to go back to clear the hose leads, but I can't see it having that much room.

There must be some trick.

Don't tell me you have to take all the insides out in order to replace the dam thing.

·
Registered
14,988 Posts
I haven't done a 66 but usually the inside box comes off. You can leave the engine side on. Jim

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
yes...from the inside. you have to take off inside cover and anything associated and then core will come out. typical gm design for many years. ruined many carpets, but not that bad.

·
Premium Member
4,507 Posts
The firewall cover nuts must be removed. The studs for the cover are part of the inside heater box. After removing the nuts and heater hoses, the inside box can be removed as a unit from inside the car. The job is much easier if you remove the glove box liner first. The heater core is held in place by 2 clips, one snaps into the grooves on the rear core tank, and a screw mounted clip at the hose end of the core.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The firewall cover nuts must be removed. The studs for the cover are part of the inside heater box. After removing the nuts and heater hoses, the inside box can be removed as a unit from inside the car. The job is much easier if you remove the glove box liner first. The heater core is held in place by 2 clips, one snaps into the grooves on the rear core tank, and a screw mounted clip at the hose end of the core.
That was my next question, removing the glove box liner :D

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
There is one nut under the fender that's a bitch to get to. Once removed, almost impossible to get back on with wheel well in place.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I also removed the passenger seat...much easier that way. To get the hidden nut in the fender, just remove the wheel well bolts and set it down on the tire. No big deal, took about one hour. Good luck.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also removed the passenger seat...much easier that way. To get the hidden nut in the fender, just remove the wheel well bolts and set it down on the tire. No big deal, took about one hour. Good luck.
Well the car doesn't have a front end on it right now, so it's not a big deal. I'm actually glad I took out some more stuff as the heater box was rusted inside and the heater controls were locked up. Those heater controls are a goofy setup if I've ever seen one.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I did it back in the 70's, and if I remember correctly I used a 3/8 box ratchet to remove the nut under the fender. I don't remember taking anything apart inside the car. I only remember removing the outside box. Seems like it took about two hours.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts