Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
replacing clutch on 70 sb with 4 spd manual trans. Looking at flywheel ring gear, seems some teeth are worn down a bit (about 25%) whereas most teeth are very good with no wear. My parts salesman told me to replace ring gear myself, by heating old one cherry red with acetylene torch and hammering off with punch and hammer. To install he says heat new one cherry red and drop it on flywheel. Is this correct install technique. Is it a simple install. YOur experience would be appreciated.

·
Registered
163 Posts
That is the correct installation procedure for a ring gear. I have never done it so I won't comment on that part.

------------------
1969 Caprice 4400LBS!!
454/M-20
12-bolt 4.10 Posi
13.45 @ 105
323HP @ 5200RPM
382lb-ft @ 3300RPM at the wheels!
Andy and Nick's Muscle Car Half-way House

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
After a bit of searching thru Chevrolet stuff with nothing to report, I went to a 1965 Pontiac shop manual. They say to heat with a torch all around, but do not exceed 400 degrees F. So, this would mean that putting it in the kitchen oven at 375 would be a good idea. Keep in mind that cherry red is over 1000 degrees F and may damage the metallurgy.

·
Registered
13,120 Posts
NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, DON'T DO THAT!!!! IT ISN'T NECESSARY. Let's make it too easy!
Lay the flywheel on a flat, solid surface (the garage floor is a good place). Use a flat or blunt nose punch and a hammer to go around the ring gear and carefully, but firmly drive it off (PAY ATTENTION TO WHICH DIRECTION THE WEAR IS ON THE TEETH). After removal, THOROUGHLY clean the ring gear and the surface on the flywheel where the ring gear mates. Preheat the kitchen oven to 500deg. Place the ring gear in the oven for 30-45min (if you thoroughly cleaned the ring gear, you won't smoke up the kitchen, or oven). Have the flywheel turned over and ready to re-install the ring gear. Remove the ring gear from the oven (you might want to use your wife's hot pads) and place it on the flywheel (be sure that you have the un-worn side of the teeth facing the correct direction. Before the ring gear has a chance to cool down, carefully, but firmly, drive the ring gear back on. TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EASY! And it's free! Trust me, it doesn't get any easier than this.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
It's a real simple thing actually. You can tap the old one off with a hammer and a punch without heat. Usually just reversing it will solve the problem. If reversing rather than replacing, you may want to use heat on the removal also to make sure you don't damage it. An acetylene torch isn't necessary. Just a MAP gas torch from K mart will do the trick. Problem with trying to use an oven is that the flywheel expands also from the heat, although not quite as much. The torch is the way to go because the whole process only takes about 2 minutes.

I wasn't trying to pile it on your answer Tom. I guess you and I were typing at the same time, and I didn't even see your response until this morning. Sorry

[This message has been edited by 2BlueLS6's (edited 01-15-2002).]

·
Registered
13,120 Posts
But not everyone has a torch, plus, an oven will heat the ring gear much more evenly.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
319 Posts
but everyone needs a torch. they're cheap and very useful so why not?

·
Registered
190 Posts
while the ring gear is in the oven put the flywheel in the freezer. done this with bearings. anybody else done this?.JIMK

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JIMK, I dont have to put the flywheel in the freezer, I live near Winnipeg Canada, and it's -20 C tonight. I'll just put it out my shop door.
Thanks to all posters. I like the idea of heating in oven to create even heat, but my wife will want me to progress from that to cooking meals. scary thought.
My old ring gear looks like a good candidate for the simply switch around to other side suggestion. Maybe I'll try that. Thanks all.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
One added point.

When you go to put the gear back on, do not dilly-dally. Get it on there.

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
bhawk, If you look at the ring gear, you will see that the teeth are shaped differently on each side and reversing the gear would not be recommended. You will probably have starter mesh problems.

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction.
Maryland Chevelle Club

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
The point is, whatever you do, DO NOT, DO NOT heat the ring gear until it's cherry red. You'll pretty much render it useless if you do. The goal is to heat it enough so that it expands and drops onto the shoulder of the flywheel without having to be driven, or with a little light tapping at the most. (You should handle it with vise grips while it's hot!) I usually set it in place and then gently tap around the circumference while it's cooling just to make sure it's seated all the way.
By the way, there's no need to put the flywheel in the oven. And SS Dave is right. Don't waste any time when you take it out of the oven.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I've never noticed any difference in the shape of the teeth one side to the other and I've been swapping them around for years. I've probably done a half dozen for people in the last year or so. When buying replacements, which are dirt cheap they aren't marked front/rear or for rotation. I've never even looked at a new one for direction when putting it on.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll look at the one on my flywheel to see if it is different from one side to other. I believe I have some very good teeth with little wear to compare.The new one I looked at in parts store, seemed the same on both sides. Again, this site is great, far better than any auto site I have ever visited.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
just to let you know, we to garage tonight, heated ring gear with small propane torch, tapped with hammer and punch and presto, ring gear came off easy as pie. I guess I'll bake me a "ring gear cake" in the house oven when the wife goes away for a couple hours. thanks for all the tips.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.