Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Malibu hasn't been run since November(in storage) Unfortunately it doesn't have synthetic oil in it(
don't ask)

To me turning the key would not be good. Can I crank it by hand using the crankshaft pulley before starting it? How would I go about doing this?

The bottom line is I don't want any surfaces inside (cams, bearings,etc. ) to get scarred from lack of oil in initial start up.

Also what synthetic motor oil would you recommend for a original 94,000 mile sb 307 on driven in spring/summer???

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
If you are worried about oil on initial startup invest in a pre-oiler or build one yourself from a junk distributor. You remove the distributor and install the pre-oiler in it's place. Turn it with a drill and it operates the oil pump, keep doing it until you feel drag on the drill and you have good oil pressure.
The best way to hand crank is to remove all the spark plugs and use a 1/2 inch ratchet on the crankshaft bolt and turn by hand. It wouldn't hurt to squirt a little WD-40 in each cylinder.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS)

·
Super Moderator
13,090 Posts
Coppertop,
I think you are worrying too much about it. My 73 Z-28 regularly sits for more than a few months and I have never had a problem just going out and starting it. Usually, by the time the carb gets gas to it, the oil pressure is up to 40 lbs anyway. When we were kids we had an old Chrysler that sat next to the house for over ten years. When I got just about old enough to drive, I filled it with gas, charged the battery and started it up. I proceeded to drive that car over 50K miles in the next few years with no problems. Hand cranking will never get enough pressure to do any good. If you are really concerned, pull the distributor and pre-oil it.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

·
Registered
13,151 Posts
I usually use my right hand.

------------------

·
Registered
171 Posts
I too think you don't need to worry about this. My old Vette hadn't been started since last October until last weekend. I have an electric fuel pump on it so I just wait for the fuel pressure to build up and it fires right up. I think it is a good idea to let the motor run to full operating temperature for awhile to make sure any condensation in the motor evaporates.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I agree with the above - crank it. Modern motor oils have about a zillion additives, some of which improve coating and cling properties.There is a coating of oil there which prevents metal to metal contact until pressure builds and everything is flooded.

------------------

·
Registered
548 Posts
(This comes under the heading).What do you do before you store your car.If you FOG the engine with 2 cycle oil top end is well oiled on spring startup.2 ycle oil burns off with out leaving deposits.Oil pump looks after the bottom end.I used to preoil my engine last spring I started it without, oil pressure came up in less than 3 sec like BILL said before the engine started, about the same time as the summer on a cool day...FRED

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.