Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it ethical (amongst Chevelle enthusiasts)? Is it a sin of the highest order, or just personal choice? Let me know how you feel about this? I have a feeling people have strong opinions about this topic....

·
Registered
166 Posts
Oh boy, you just dropped a bomb....

I really don't have problems with this, as long as someone admits their car is a clone and don't try and pass it off as the real thing. I've seen quite a few people pay $20+ grand for an "SS" with a 10-bolt rear, sweep dash, etc. My favorite was a 72 "Malibu Sport" (aka really bad clone - Malibue with SS emblems and hood) that was being advertised as a numbers matching 396. Well, too bad a 396 wasn't offered in 72, and too bad the VIN# indicated the car was originally a 307. There are some real scoundrels out there....

------------------
Ian McDermott
1970 Chevelle SS 396
Gold Member #101
E-mail: [email protected]
Web page: chevelle.dhs.org
ICQ UIN: 3923441

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
As he stated i have a malibu w/ some SS stuff but i never say it's an ss. and i ran the stripes across the roof too
just depends on what you want, if you want an SS but can't afford it like me just do the neat little things that an SS came with (hood, emblems,buckets) and i wouldn't go thru the trouble of the dash conversion just make a custom cluster in place of the SWWWWEEEEEPPPPERRRRRRR and have fun

------------------
members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/chevelle9.jpg members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/350.jpg
John Krenn
1970 malibu SS look-a-like well kinda
307/200-4r (soon to be 355 or 383)

Ft.Worth, Tx

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
If you aren't planning on selling the car as a S.S., then it shouldn't be a problem.This is the reason we get SO MANY posts about how to identify a real S.S. car.If you are planning on selling, there is a little thing called "FRAUD". The ' 68 up cars don't have a special serial # to determine if it is a S.S., you can look at the Vin on the ' 72 cars and see if it came with a B/B, but some S.S. cars in ' 72 had small blocks .Just make sure your intentions are good, and let all potential buyers know of the changes you made if you ever do decide to sell the car, and you will be alright. If it is for personal choice, and your satisfaction, go ahead, but still be truthful if anyone wants to know about it.

------------------
1972 Malibu (1 st. car) Project waiting to happen / Team Chevelle # 427 / A.C.E.S. # 1282

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.