Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need to find a short near the fuseblock. How do you disconnect the harness connector to the front of the car from the fuseblock so i can find the short. I can pull the fuseblock away from the firewall, but not enough to see whats wrong.

------------------
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> '68 El Camino w/327 Turbo 350, PB, PS, PW, cruise control, A/C, gauges.
<LI> Team Chevelle Member #1289
[/list]

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Nathan, there are one or two hex head screws that hold the fuse block together, I believe from the firewall side, can't remember for sure, then the outside half will unplug from the inside half. Hope its an easy fix.

------------------
TC #364
Aces #4309
Jeff's 69

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
got it solved. there is one 3/8" screw in the fuseblock holding it together. it turns out that my problem with my wipers was that a screw in the dash was missing, where the gauges are grounded.
Problem solved, and i thought it was something so difficult.

------------------
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> '68 El Camino w/327 Turbo 350, PB, PS, PW, cruise control, A/C, gauges.
<LI> Team Chevelle Member #1289
[/list]

·
Registered
17 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nathan Abele:
i need to find a short near the fuseblock. How do you disconnect the harness connector to the front of the car from the fuseblock so i can find the short. I can pull the fuseblock away from the firewall, but not enough to see whats wrong.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Im in the same boat that nathan had..
I have just found my intermittent open. when I pull on the group of wires on the eng side of the firewall I lose all power to the fuse panel (the car goes dead ) I have separated the fuse block inside and found nothing loose there. I have removed the single 3/8" bolt from the eng side and am wondering if I can separate the two now. I believe the open is inside that connection. am I opening a can of worms here. if I could pinpoint what wire it was I would bypass that wire and go around the cluster block but the open only happens when I pull the group of wires on the left side. any help would be much appreciated...

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Gum
It might be a problem with the large red wire. Located on the lower left hand side of the foward lamp harness plug. The foward lamp harness plug is the outer one closest to the fender. Yes they come out after the bolt is removed. However it's in there tight to keep moisture out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks John. I will start with that red wire now. ill let you know how it goes... Gum.

------------------
1969 elcamino. 350 3speed stick.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I split that sucka apart and found LOTS of corrosion on that red wire connection and a few others in that group. I am going to conduct "terminal profiling" without prejudice. im on my way to a dependable ride now. Thanks again John,

------------------
1969 elcamino. 350 3speed stick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts