Team Chevelle banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Takes me half an hour. Anyone got any tricks? Hopefully I won't need to do it many more times...

-Remove air cleaner
-pop throttle cable off butterfly arm
-Crack -AN lines loose and pin off, paper towels under joints
-Remove 4 carb nuts
-pull PCV out of valve cover
-Hoist carb off
-Remove screws off bowls
-Crack meter blocks off
-Change jets
- - - - Reverse procedure above
-Crank motor till it fills bowls and starts.

Does anyone change jets with the carb still on the motor? Or is the the normal way and I don't know it?

·
Premium Member
9,522 Posts
If you have hard lines to the float bowls I take those off and do like Brian.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
I have braided lines to each bowl (separate). I do not take the carb off, rather drain each bowl and swap jets. I lay a rag under the bowl before draining and during the bowl removal.

I can change both front & rear jets in under 15 minutes, probably closer to 10 like Brian.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
On the car like Todd and Brian for me too.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I can do my front jets as several others have posted here without going through all those extra steps. The one thing I can add is that I fill the bowls up through the vent tube to save your motor from all that extra cranking.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
My now retired 427 had a hardcore 870 dp installed.It was equipped with the dominator bowls.No need to break any seal.The brass access plugs once removed allows you to replace the main jets with the jet removal tool from holley.

·
Premium Member
4,979 Posts
For all the times guys have told me "switch to a Holley" I finally have a reason to say "Switch to an Edelbrock!" :)

"When" it requires a jet change, about 7-8 minutes. Remove banjo fitting on fuel line, remove 3 hair pin clips on various linkage. One accel pump screw, 8 carb top screws. All four jets are accessible. No fuel to drain / refill.

I say "when" because most changes are just a rod change. Two screws, pull rods, swap, re-install. Takes 2 minutes. :)

Seriously. There is a little cup with an angle spout on it you can buy to capture the fuel that you drain out of the bottom screw holes. I have a thistle tube, which is a chemist's funnel that drops down into the bowl vent and lets me prime the bowls.

·
Registered
706 Posts
For all the times guys have told me "switch to a Holley" I finally have a reason to say "Switch to an Edelbrock!" :)

"When" it requires a jet change, about 7-8 minutes. Remove banjo fitting on fuel line, remove 3 hair pin clips on various linkage. One accel pump screw, 8 carb top screws. All four jets are accessible. No fuel to drain / refill.

I say "when" because most changes are just a rod change. Two screws, pull rods, swap, re-install. Takes 2 minutes. :)
I was gonna say that!

'course this year, if I need to change "jets" I just fire up the laptop and change em. Couplke keystrokes, done. While it's running if I want to.

·
Registered
445 Posts
The cap off a spray paint can makes a perfect drain cup. I change mine with everything hooked up, even the carb hat and fuel lines. Don't forget to pick up the accel pump arm or you'll be taking the bowl back off. I hate it when I do that:)

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's not a Holley, it's a BG :) I am changing jets because it's a new carb. Ya know, it runs so well (except for sub 2000rpm closed throttle decel surge), that I can't tell any difference between 3 jet sizes.

By the way, I do the trick of forgetting the pump arms everytime. It wouldn't be a real jet setting session if I didn't remove everything twice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts