Team Chevelle banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about moving to a new subdivision (burb) close to town because my kids will be starting school next year and its 32 miles to school right now and with all the after school activites I need to get closer. Went to look at a very nice burb that I liked and its huge, miles of roads and its full with just a few houses left to sale. Every house has a 1 or 2 car garage but no room to put a shop lots are narrow but long you can put one in the front yard it will cover up your house and the back yard is a river you will block your view. I must have to many toys but, I can fill up a 2 car garage with just my tools, 3 roll around tool boxes, air compressors, welding machine, drill press, etc, etc.
two lawn mowers, 4 wheeler, chain saws, weed eaters, boat, camper, 16' low boy trailer, add 4 vehicles including chevelle that will be in a garage. Driving around I didn't see nothing outside very clean am I hoarding to much stuff or does everybody pay a storage to keep all the stuff.:eek:

·
Registered
999 Posts
The house we have now is in the burbs but has a big backyard that I can back a trailer into and maybe someday put in a work shop. It has a two car garage that is to small for all my crap. The big problem is we are moving to NY in the spring and the house we are moving into has NO GARAGE:( I dont know where I am going to put al this stuff 2 Chevelles a Dually a Harley and our two daily drivers. ought to be interesting

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Mudhog,
To me it sounds like you are making a move for good reasons. But the nearer you get to the city, the more the real estate costs. To get the same amount of room you probably have now will cost you dearly if you have to be in a nice subdivision. So to downsize means that some of that stuff can go. Anything you have more than one of (except the kids) you might not need if you lived in a house with less land. Mowers, chain saws, etc. All the posssesions that you don't use very often are constantly depreciating. Might as well sell them while they are still in good shape and have real value to someone else. I live in a very small house and all the time I have to decide what has to get pitched out (or sold) if I bring something new home. Out of respect for my good neighbors I don't have anything sitting outside that can't be placed out of view from the road or from their houses. Maybe you can compromise the view of the river and build a nice compatible looking storage shed for the stuff you absolutely can't live without. Another thing - it kinda feels good to downsize stuff sometimes when it is your choice in the first place. Simplify the life, as your kids get older it will become more complicated and more crowded with their stuff. Just some thoughts. I admire your ability to plan ahead.

I dont know where I am going to put all this stuff 2 Chevelles
Ed, I have room for one of them - no charge, and I'll exercise it weekly - you can visit it anytime!

G

·
Look around and see if you can't buy two lots or say an acre or up to five closer in and build to suit yourself??

And I personally have never had enough money to gather up that much stuff...

I have my '67 camaro, my newer corn-popper commuter car and my old '80 C/10 P/U the wife is having a fit about. Plus my tools and parts and old mag's and that's about it! Oh, three grown kids and now two WONDEFUL little grandbaby GIRLS to fawn over!!

pdq67

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Gold Founding Member
3,080 Posts
Home builders develop neighborhoods for the dumb and rich....not car guys:D
So someone needs to develop one for gearheads. I can see it now, 4 car garage in the front, interior paved court for storing other projects, house in back with patio on the court so you can admire your collection while relaxing. No restrictions on noise, community burn-out pit, community garage with a couple of lifts, paint booth, outdoor grille and fire pit and other heavy duty goodies. Around the exterior of the subdivision would be a 2.5 mile oval track with 1/8 mile straight portion with timing lights. Any other ideas???

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Dang....you DUH MAN Orrie.......build it and they will come.......I'd buy in .....oh or the 3-4 car garage at home, supplied with one lift THEN with a full blown community center.....garage and techy help oh lets say 6 bays....car wash (hand only).....barbq with a pool for tha wifeys an kidlets....at the Oval Drag Shop Community Center:hurray: :hurray: :cool:
HomeOwner Association rule one.....your car must be 1973 and older to be a "Club Member":beers:

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
That is a planned community I would defin. be into! 1/8 mile? How about both, 1/8 &1/4? Make it so 4 cars can drag at once! Community tech here , what seems to be the problem? Honda in the burn out pit?!? Nuke 'em!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,205 Posts
The guy on the corner of my street has a nice layout. He's got garages on two sides, and the one, you can drive right through into the backyard. The other one was built for boat storage, so it's got 12' columns, more than enough for a lift. :cool: I'd love to have it, but I'd have to sell mine to buy it. Probably not gonna happen.

·
Premium Member
4,988 Posts
does everybody pay a storage to keep all the stuff.:eek:
Our home has a two car garage that houses the Mustang, the '67, the tool boxes, parts washer, etc. We also rent a deep two car garage that houses the '64, the AMX and my little trailer, etc. The daily drivers sit outside.

You are probably looking at renting some car space a few miles out of town, for the stuff you don't need to get at every week.

Another option is a lift, if the garage is high enough to allow it (this is my plan for the next house).

·
Registered
320 Posts
The newer subdivisions with the narrow lots, a sea of houses with manicured lots without a tree in sight leave me cold. I couldnt live in a neighbourhood like that and the neighbours would probably be offended if I did, what with all that tinkering with those noisy old Chevelles, big dogs , and unwashed construction types around.....

No offence to anybody intended.

I say look or something with some land and renovate it.
I bought an older place with a 1.3 ac lot that needed renovations at what used to be the edge of town :(

Still lots of privacy, room for my stuff and room for another double garage if I chose to go that route.

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
Johnny: I'm with you. were planning on moving this spring. Told my wife all i need is a 4 car garage. 2 bedroom house with a nice driveway. at least hold 6 cars. Man I think the perfect house would be an old fire house. Live up stairs. slide down in the morning. all that room for the cars & truck. oh my God. I'm drooling just thinking about it.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Thinking about moving to a new subdivision (burb)

Don't do it!!! You'll beeeeee sorrrrrrrrrry...

I move out to country to get away from the Burbs. It is so quite out here and I have my own shooting range and I take a leak in my back yard when ever I want to...

The kids will grow up and move out and then your stuck with a Suburban dwelling that you unloaded all you toys to live in.... Annnnnnnd the neighbors harping on you because you have to much stuff in YOUR yard and you didn't cut YOUR grass to the required 2.5 inches and and and and....

Just my opinion.... :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.