Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do the window and doors cranks come off on a 65? I don't see any kind of screwed in pin that holds it in place, but there must be some somewhere.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
I HATE WINDOW CRANK CLIPS!!!!!!!!! I didn't have a special tool and it took me about 4 hours to get it off, and i ruined my door panel!!! I would advise that if you can't get it off in about 30min go to an auto store and get the tool! It's worth it!

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
Or for less than $5.00 you can buy a door handle tool in the HELP section at just about any auto parts store. They push the little clips off with ease. Screw drivers will work, but in the end after you have used one, you will be glad you spent the Five dollars.

Rocky

·
Registered
628 Posts
BUY A TOOL. It is very easy to slip with a screwdriver and rip up your door panel. I'm speaking from experience. The tool costs a whole lot less than a door panel. :eek:

·
Registered
60 Posts
An easy and cheap way to remove is to slip an oil rag behind the handle and move it back and forth till the clip pops loose. I have done this many times .

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, now I know what it must look like. OK, I'll just a try to pushing on the panel. I didn't think of that.

Kept trying to look under the arm of the crank for a set screw or similar.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Originally posted by jhilb:
OK, now I know what it must look like. OK, I'll just a try to pushing on the panel. I didn't think of that.

Kept trying to look under the arm of the crank for a set screw or similar.
Don't be cheap, don't waste time with rags, don't push in the panel just buy the tool. You'll be glad you did. Honest.

·
Registered
227 Posts
gotta agree with most of the posts. Buy the tool. $5.00 is nothing compared with what you will probably be spending on this car, or that you would have to spend to replace the damage caused by a screwdriver.

Note you insert the open end of the tool, aligned with the handle, and it pushes the clip right off.

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Anyone have a picture? I will have to take my door panels off to replace my locks, so I would need the tool.

I hate asking for help at the auto parts store, they look at you funny when they don't know what you're talking about.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Go to the pics in my signature, look in 327 ss file and you'll see a picture.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I will tell you I can take the handle off quicker with a rag than you can find your tool, Plus the risk if damage is minimized greatly by not having a piece of metal next to the door panel.
George

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Try the rag or get a pick with a 90 degree bend on the end and just snag it with that. I always use the pick to pop them off and it works very well.

The only way for a screwdriver to do it is if you bend the tip. Otherwise, you just can't get around the handle to reach the clip with it.

Peter

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm into mt-biking so I have a bunch of spokes lying around in my toolbox. I used the hub side of an old spoke to hook the clip and pull it out. Worked pretty good for me.

-rskip

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK, I got the tool. But I couldn't get it to work.

Which 'direction' should the tool be placed under the crank? Does the 'clip' sit in any one particular direction, or is it free to spin and thus I need to just keep trying?

·
Registered
443 Posts
It is "fixed" in place. You'll need to push in line with the handle. Can't remember if the ends of the clip are on the handle side or 180 degrees out from it. The tool should push against the ends of the "omega-shaped" clip and just slide it a 1/2" or so and it should pop right off. For what it's worth, I've had success catching the round part of the clip with the head of a long nail and pulling it out. The tool is the best way to go though.

SKIP

PS: Once you actually get one off it'll be obvious how it works and you'll kick yourself for making it so hard on yourself. When it's time to reinstall the handle, just put the clip on the handle, line the handle up how you want it (I roll my window all the way up and install the handle pointing straight forward) and jam it HARD onto the regulator. The clip will seat itself into it's retaining groove.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK, thanks. I was trying it opposite the handle so I think the open end of the clip is opposite the handle then and I was pushing the wrong direction. I'll try the other way.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts