Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have the fans already figured out as far as mounting, each fan (2) has a 2 wire hookup and is reversable with the wires, so now i want to wire them to a temp sender that i put in the pass side head, what is the best way to wire this and where can i get. Also what temp should i expect it to kick on/off at, I would prefer about 200 on and 180 off (Ya it will probubly run all the time with the BB). Is there one that has adjustable temps?
Please be gentle with the high tech $hit, it took me a month to wire the factory amp guage

------------------
If I Can't Drive It, I Don't Want It!
Darryl, TC#925

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Painless wiring makes 3 different kits you can purchase through Jegs. The kit # 30102 is set for 200 on and 185 off and comes with a threaded thermostat that screws into the engine block or mainifold. It uses 3/8 - 18 NPTF fittings.

Jegs adds 764- in front of any Painless item so order item 764-30102 to get this identified Painless kit.

------------------
Redrum (or Mike)
68 Corvette - 383 CI 427 HP
69 SS Chevelle being updated to Pro-Touring
97 Z-28

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just hooked up an electric fan on my car and I have the temp sensor going into the upper radiator hose, so I am not familiar with the type of sensor that goes in the head but I think they are preset to a specific temperature. Considering that you are running 2 fans I would recommend using a relay like one from Painless Wiring. I ran a wire from the fusebox that was switched by the key to supply the power to the sending unit (which connects to the relay), then I connected a wire to the alternator (which also goes to the relay, then the fan) to power the fans so as not to put a strain on my electrical system. That is the purpose of running a relay. Do you know how many amps these fans draw? Hope this helps.

Jeff

·
Registered
190 Posts
mid 80's z-28 fan switch will work and screw into the head,when i worked for advance auto parts and alot of guys wanted to lower the temp for the fans to come on sooner i beleive the lower temp part# was FS8 and the original was FS1 they can look in their gp sorenson book to be sure. the back of the book has on-off temp specs for each part#.hope this helps.JIMK

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.