Chevelles.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to convert the point setup on my '68 for use with HEI. My buddy told me to run the distributor "batt" wire to the fuse panel to an open "ignition" slot nad cut back the coil wire and tape it off. Does someone have a diagram for the conversion to help me out?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Your buddy is pretty well on. All you need is to run 1 new 12 gauge wire from an ignition circuit (I went to the fuse block and used a spade connector on it mark "ign"...go figger). When you pull out the original coil you'll disconnect a yellow and a white fabric wire off the + side(tape 'em and secure them out of the way), and the distributor wire and a brown tach wire (if so equipped) from the - side. When you pull out the old distributor its wire just goes with it. Most HEIs are self contained so once the old stuff is out of the way, just properly insert your HEI into the engine and hook up your new "ign" switched power source to the "batt" terminal on your HEI's cap, and the brown wire (if you have one) to the "tach" terminal right next to it. Piece 'o cake!

This is a very common question. If you go back on this particular forum about 10 days you'll find a pretty good discussion of how to do it. Also you can use the "search" function, or go back to the home page and click on "tech Reference" then look at topic 3 in "Engines and stuff that attaches to it". It's a very good explanation not only of how to do it, but also what it is you're actually doing. Good luck. Well worth the minimal effort.

SKIP

1 - 3 of 3 Posts