Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace my ignition switch on my 71' chevelle and have never done one. I know it is located near the brake pedal. How do I lower the steering column? The instructions with the new switch say to install it in the off-unlocked position the manual states to install in the lock position, which is correct? Could the ignition module be bad? I have replaced the stater,solenoid and battery cables but it will only crank intermittenly. The key cylinder works fine in all positions.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I has gotten much, much worse. To the point it will only crank say 1 of 25 times? Any ideas? The body shop needs to move it and it has become a real hassle to him so I am looking to fix it ASAP.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
The ignition switch just might need to be adjusted. The switch will slide back and forth on the column about 1/4 of an inch. You need to find the happy median in that the starter will engage and the switch will turn back into the acc. position.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
That pretty intermittent. Should be enough to see where it is.
Ima71 has a good point but do some measuring with a meter to fix this for sure.
Remove the battery cable.
Remove the center wire out of the coil so the engine doesn't fire.
Set the emergency brake.
Remove the access panel under the steering column.
Put the key in and put the trans shifter into the lowest gear.
Loosen and remove the screw and clip under the steering column for the shift indicator.
Put the indicator lever back into PARK.
Remove the 2 9/16? nuts holding to the column to the dash and carefully lower it.
Reconnect the battery cable.
On the neutral safety switch measure the purple wire to ground as you start the car. No 12 volts? Measure the purple/white on the neutral safety switch doing the same thing. No 12 volts? Try Ima71's idea and see if that does it.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks very, very much for the info guys. I was able to trace the problem to the ignition switch. Repalced it and NO problems now. Thanks for the step by step instructions they helped immensely.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts