Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to prime my rebuilt 283 for my 65 malibu. I found an old distributor from about a 1970 gm. It seems to fit into the hole fine and the shaft appears identical. It seems I must remove the teeth on the camshaft gear that is on the distributor shaft. Do I do this by grinding the gear teeth off? How about the top of the shaft. How do I make an adapter so that I can turn the shaft with my 1\2 inch drill? Any experience in making such tool is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
BHawk, remove the pin that holds the gear to the shaft and remove the gear. Remove the shaft from the distributor body and have a machine shop turn the end (rotor end) down to fit your 1/2" drill motor. Pretty simple and works great. Good Luck!

·
Registered
400 Posts
I am going to be priming my 350 hopefully in the near future.I have access to a primer. I have what may be a stupid question but here goes: Foward (clockwise), or reverse on the drill? Thanks, Deejay

·
Registered
67 Posts
When I primed my big block, I just removed the top parts from the distributor, since it was junk anyway, and then ground off the teeth on the gear till they were pretty flat.
The shaft on top should fit in a 1/2 drill, mine did.
You turn the drill clockwise.
I dropped the dist. in, chucked the drill onto the shaft, and tied the handle of the drill off to my hood spring. Ran the drill with the lock button on, tied off to the hood spring and then went to the front of the motor and cranked it around with a ratchet 1/4 turn at a time till I had oil coming out of all pushrods and rocker arms.
Worked like a charm.

·
Premium Member
2,720 Posts
Bhawk.....If you go to the machine shop to have the shaft turned, remember that you can buy a new primer for about 10 or 12 bucks...machine shop services usually arent cheap. I made mine from an old spade bit on a drill extension. The bits you drill a hole in wood with. I used a 1" bit, and ground off the pointed part, and ground down into the flat part about 1/4" or so, so it fits over the slot and stays there. There are lots of ways to do it. John

·
Registered
67 Posts
Johnny O:
With that set up, all you are doing is priming the oil pump. With a distributor you can seal the inside of the engine and get oil up to the rocker arms.
I tried the oil pump primer and could see oil moving in the block, but could not get oil to the rocker arms with it.

Just a thought, if you want to prime the entire engine.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the info. I'll try to fit the top of the shaft into my drill without a machine shop service. I'll let you know how it works.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have one that is made out of a '70 L78 Distributor.

I have it put away and try not to use it much. It was done when it was close to new. The housing looks NOS with the GM factory paint codes on it still.
-------------
Rick
My new Tow truck.
http://imagehost.auctionwatch.com/preview/ri/rickauto/Litesurf3.JPG

[This message has been edited by YenkoYS100 (edited 05-02-2001).]

·
Registered
105 Posts
bhawk,

You have mail...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status