Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an electric fuel pump that is being replaced by a mechanical. Right now there is a block off plate where the fuel pump goes. When I remove the plate is there a slot for the pushrod or any locating point where the pushrod goes. I don't want this falling inside the engine.
Thanks,
Fred

·
Registered
432 Posts
It can't fall inside but it can fall out. You take the cover plate off, install the pushrod and you will find it falls right back out. In the front of the block there is a bolt blocking a hole. Remove this bolt, install a longer one that will bump up against the push rod and hold it in place. After installing the pump remove this bolt and put the short one back in.
No way you can loose the push rod inside the block so just slide it up the drilled hole. It butts against the cam so you know the general direction of the hole.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
if its a s/b, you will need a plate that goes under the mech pump, the p/r has to go in first, then the plate/gasket goes on, then the f/p-as said, there is a "short" bolt in the upper front hole of the block, where you can screw in a longer bolt to hold the rod(dont forget to replace the shorter bolt when done) no bolt will cause oil to leak out
b/b engines dont use the plate under the f/p, but have a pipe plug that you remove to slide the rod thru
you need to be spec. what engine you are working on

·
Registered
432 Posts
Guys it is all right there for you. Just remove the short bolt, install a longer one, push the rod up in the block and snug the longer bolt against the rod. Install the pump, remove the longer bolt and put the shorty back in.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
I used gehant's method by covering the rod with white grease and shoving it in the hole when I recently built my 327. Worked great and stayed up there for as long as I needed it to. 64elkynss

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
I'd like to know if anyone has tried this method: mate the pump against the block with the bolt closest to the front of the car (right side bolt), then put the push rod on the plunger with your fingers, then rotate the pump clock wise as to push the push rod on up via the plunger until the left bolt hole (closest to rear of the block) shows up and then stick in that bolt?

Also I'd like to ask this....I know there's a lobe on the cam for the fuel pump push rod, but do I need to rotate the engine over any to facilitate ease of install? Or would this even work if the lobe was at TDC as to push on the push rod as far as it could go?

·
Premium Member
4,995 Posts
If the fuel pump cam lobe is away the push rod can be pushed further into the block allowing installation of the pump by hand. The answer to your question is yes. try installing the pump in the position the crank is in now without the gasket, if you find it goes in without much manipulation, then the fuel pump lobe is away, set your gasket and install; otherwise rotate the crank a bit.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I tried putting the pushrod in but no go. It goes in about an inch and then stops. I can't see any obstructions and I placed a straw into the hole to check the depth and everything is fine. This is an aftermarket pushrod MR. Gasket. Could this be the problem or should I look for something else?
Thanks,
Fred

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
Fred,

I just did install a new Holley fuel pump and Moroso push rod on my 402 this morning. When I istalled it I think it only went up an inch or so.

To get the pump on what I did was removed the pipe plug under the pump mating surface and used a screw driver to hold up the push rod. Sometimes it would stick on it's own and other times it would try to fall back down.

Then I'd insert the pump ensuring the lever was below the push rod. Then I threaded in the bolt closest to the front of the engine and continued to thread it in but I didn't tighten it....I just got it most of the way in. I then got the next bolt ready by just inserting it thru the other pump mount hole.

Then I grabbed the pump and turned it clockwise until the bolt closest to the exhaust manifold was able to be threaded in, then I threaded it in but I didn't tighten it.

Once both bolts were in I tightened both of them, then I got under the car and looked upward at the hole where the pipe plug goes.....I saw the bottom of the fuel pump shaft and not the push rod which told me everything went in well and that I didn't miss the push rod. I then reinstalled the pipe plug.

By turning the pump clockwise I compressed the shaft. Keep in mind this takes a little patience and it may be a little bit of a bitch to get the first few times and you may even use some choice words in the process....but keep your head up and say a prayer and it'll all go together.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I Removed the plug under the fuel pump opening. I tried sliding the rod in but it seems to be binding. I didn't have the fuel pump on it was just the opening. I didn't want to tap anything fearing something would get jammed. Should the rod slide right in or does it need a little coaxing?
Thanks,
Fred

·
Registered
1 Posts
I tried putting the pushrod in but no go. It goes in about an inch and then stops. I can't see any obstructions and I placed a straw into the hole to check the depth and everything is fine. This is an aftermarket pushrod MR. Gasket. Could this be the problem or should I look for something else?
Thanks,
Fred
Fred, I'm having that same problem. Did you discover the problem? Thanks, George

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
Fred was last here 06/03/2011, probably not going to answer. Thread is 8 years old......

Is this a new engine? old engine? has it had a pushrod in it before? is there crud up in the guide hole to the cam? if it's a BB you'll need to pull the big plug to look up in the hole. If a SB you'll need to pull the mount plate.

roll the pushrod across something flat, is it straight? don't try to install it if it's not straight.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I just hold the pushrod with my finger, slip the plunger on the pump under it and thread the bolts in. What's the big deal?
I do it the same way. I know all the tricks but I've never had a problem putting the pump on to need them. I have fat fingers too, lol.

Richard

1 - 20 of 27 Posts