Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3/4 ton PU and I'm replacing U joints. The book says to use sockets and press the joint out of the yoke. The dang thing won't budge. I've used WD 40 and I'm afraid I'll bend my vise handle if I use any more force. Any ideas?
Bill K?
Racer 1320?

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Yeah,
While you have the pressure on it in the vise, smack the vise with a BFH. The sudden shock will usually pop them loose. You do have a spacer on the other end right? And, you do have the c clips or retainers out too right?

Dave

[This message has been edited by 69454Malibu (edited 09-26-2001).]

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I have a spacer, another larger socket for the joint to slide into. There are no clearance problems.
Thank you. Anyone else?

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Did you melt the teflon(?) lock out of it yet by heating it with a torch?

If not take a torch to the driveshaft where the ujoint cap is and heat it, you will see what looks similar to a pimple poping (there is a small hole this will come out of), once it's done coming out you should be able to drive them out.

------------------
1971 Chevelle Malibu - 406 sbc TH350

RECENT PICS
My site

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
Adams dead on. If it is a stock axle and U-joints, then you will need to heat it up with a torch and watch the green crap come out. It's more like a "snake" firework during the forth of july than a pimple.
And satnd clear, cuz there are some air pockets that make the stuff "pop" out and it stays very damn hot for a while.

------------------
71' 3880# with me. Big Block 402, Merlin oval heads, 10.2:1CR, TH400, 3.73 posi,
1/8th: 8.2 @ 86.8mph
1/4: 12.7 @ 107.8mph (1.93 sixty foot)
--have pulled a 1.85 sixty foot (before street tires or course).
Picture of me roasting the tires and other guy stuff
Video of me staging (smoke of course)

·
Super Moderator
13,283 Posts
Michael,
I have stopped messing with them. There is a driveline shop about 1/4 mile up the road and they will replace both joints and make sure the shaft is straight for about $50 ......and that includes the U-joints ! Its not worth my time to do them.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
Team Chevelle #100

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I'm gonna get a quote from a drive line shop. Otherwise my friend says he sometimes has to press them out with his 20 ton press and he'll show me how. Those things make me nervous as hell though. if that socket slips out it could hit me in the stomach like a 12 guage slug.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I've had some bad ones before. I took the torch and blew the centre tee out of them so that I could pound each cap out seperately. The caps came out as easy as easy after that.

Another way is to set it on the vise with the caps (tee part) you're trying to remove going up and down and the other caps each resting on a jaw. The part you're trying to get the caps out of will then be between the jaws with a cap facing up. Then whack the joint right on the solid part just beside the hole for the cap. It should come apart. I hope this is clear enough.

Others are right. On a newer OE shaft it will have plastic crap holding the caps in.

Peter

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
The parts store by my house will change them for $8. Not worth the trouble to do it myself.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
$8 for U joints? Autozone sells them for $12 a piece! I need 3! I heated them up last night and they still did'nt budge. Anyway another friend of mine said to just get shag nasty on them and knock the holy snit out of them with a BFH.
I did and it worked...Thanks again

·
Registered
162 Posts
I broke an 8" vise doing this once. I was using a cheater bar on the handle and the body of the vice cracked.

My wife will tell you that's the only vice I've broken in the last 8 years

Paul

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.