Chevelles.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used everything from left to right:
Rubbing Compound, Cleaner Wax, First attempted ultimate compound and then used the polishing compound twice and no difference with either, then cleaner wax, then the wax.

I tried my best to take pictures of the scratches but they are about as deep as say, fine swirl marks but wern't even dented with the ultimate or polishing compounds! The scratches are there from the Rubbing Compound which I expected when I used it but now I can't get it out!

What should I attempt now? These are the pictures after this work its really hard to tell on them but what you can see in the flash is how it really looks all over.:(

P.S. I used everything by hand as directions dictated.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
First, IMO, throw that Meguiars stuff in the trash, that is where it works the best. :sad:

Next, you'll need to get some 3M compound... http://www.shop3m.com/60430050371.html and use a white foam pad with it. http://www.shop3m.com/60455036123.html

Next step after you get the big scratches out, and the shine comes back, then switch to a black foam pad http://www.shop3m.com/60455036149.html and some polish.. http://www.shop3m.com/60410009629.html Follow the directions on the bottles. When you polish, you don't have to remove all the polish with the foam pad. Once you get the scratches all polished out, there may be some oil-like residue on the paint. Take a terrycloth towel and rub the polish off. It should shine right up with this stuff. :yes:

·
Registered
491 Posts
Ditto on the 3m stuff it is great I think it is called finessett 3 or something like that I'm sure Dave has it in his link. Also use a buffer forget doing it by hand it will never come out by hand polishing. Good luck I used about 1800 rpm my dewalt buffer has a variable speed.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So is this buffer not the hand held orbital ones? I have a 3" one. I don't mind using my "daniel-son" wax on, wax off moves to save some cash! Thanks for the "good stuff" hate to waste money on crap! Ill get on it soon!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Lance I dont think that that orbital will have enough rpms to get the job done. The deal that Dave P suggested is the buffer that I have and is highly recommened and that looks to be a good deal. Do yourself a favor and read read read as there is an art to buffing there is plenty of info on the net. Maybe talk to some friends and see if you can borrow one if you dont or cant afford to buy one. If I were in your town I would certainly help out.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Buy a buffer and learn, or sub it out. You'll need the buffer for the rest of your life anyway. And thanks to someone (Birdwell) for NOT recommending Meguire's. Although I use Presta, I have no problems with 3M either. Meguires must be the best because it's sold everywhere.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
I have had very good luck with Wizards finish cut.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well guys I did a quote on all the odds and ends to it so Ill get all the stuff over the winter and deal with it for now... rather get the right stuff then do damage! So is all the stuff off the shelves just to make quick money???

·
Registered
906 Posts
Start with 3M micro finish with a wool pad and finish with 3M machine glase on a black wool pad.Dont buy a cheap buffer that you will have to replace in a year.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Well guys I did a quote on all the odds and ends to it so Ill get all the stuff over the winter and deal with it for now... rather get the right stuff then do damage! So is all the stuff off the shelves just to make quick money???
You don't find professional products being sold in chain stores. Meguires is the most widely used among hobbiests because it's marketed differently. This principle applies to many products, tools included. Does Tractor Supply sell SATA? That's one example of thousands.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I agree on both the 3M finess-it and the Dewalt dw849! This is what I use and I get great results. I have not used any compound in years!I got tired of chasing swirl marks from the compound. I wet color sand to 2000 and polish with the Finess-it. I am also still a big fan of wool pads. A lot of people won't use anything but foam pads, but I guess
I am a dinasoaur, as I still like wool. Nothing generates heat and brings up a gloss quickly like a wool pad. Slow speed, high pressure to start, and then lift pressure off as it dries.

The Dewalt is the best buffer I have ever owned. It is heavier than any other buffer I have owned as well, but that is not a problem for me.

Regards, John MCgraw

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
I am also still a big fan of wool pads. A lot of people won't use anything but foam pads, but I guess
I am a dinasoaur, as I still like wool. Nothing generates heat and brings up a gloss quickly like a wool pad. Slow speed, high pressure to start, and then lift pressure off as it dries.

The Dewalt is the best buffer I have ever owned. It is heavier than any other buffer I have owned as well, but that is not a problem for me.

Regards, John MCgraw
I agree. But, I did not recommend any wool pads for a beginner as it's real easy to burn the edges and body lines with them.... :yes: :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I have been poking through all the posts on the subject and come spring I will defiantely try it first on my other car, its paint could use some TLC! Then ill hit up the Chevelle. I didn't realize that you could do this yourself! I always thought it was a "specialty" skill.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I agree. But, I did not recommend any wool pads for a beginner as it's real easy to burn the edges and body lines with them.... :yes: :thumbsup:

Dave,

I would agree. As long as I have been buffing, I still tape all my edges and finish out the edges with a 3" air buffer, so I can get better control. With the 3" buffer, I can run right up the edge without going over the edge. It takes more time to do it this way, but I never burn an edge. I have painted lacquer on restored Corvettes for years and edge paint disappears in the blink of an eye with lacquer. Most times with lacquer, I will finish the edges by hand, but urethane is just too damn hard to do by hand!:D

Regards, John McGraw

·
Registered
43 Posts
Heres another option. Go to the Autogeek web site and check out the Menzerna line of SIP and NANO products. I have a 71 Chevelle and a black Corvette. I have gotten some amazing results with the Menzerna and an orange buffing pad using a Porter ROB on high speed. There are some very good videos on how to use a buffer and polishing methods also.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts