Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
66 Chevelle SS396 & 66 Chevelle 327 Convertible.
7,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
While working on installing auto meter gauges I discover I have no 12v at the LPS terminal that I am trying to hook the gauge lights to. Must have been a problem in the past as a PO had the courtesy wires plugged in wrong and not functioning correctly. I can’t find any power coming into the INST fused with a 1 amp fuse) LPS and no power to the LPS terminal with the two connections. But my instrument lamps work and the dimmer switch works.

I can’t figure out what my schematics is telling me as it is confusing as best to me. There is power at the ING, BAT, and ACC terminal. Where might the issue bee and how do I find it and fix it? photo is how PO had the wires hooked up.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The dash light fuse is powered from the taillight fuse so you'll notice if it blows
I don’t know what this means or tells me, I know the dash light fuse is tinny and the tail light fuse is much larger.

I must apologize as I used some wrong terminology. I am appempting to hook up my aftermarket gauge lights to the LAMPS terminal. They appear dead to me. I think that is where the courtesy lights should also be hooked up. I think that is why an Previous owner may have moved them and they don’t work where he hook them up or at the LAMPS terminal. The fuse, TAIL and LPS all appear good, well as the terminal marked BAT FUSE to the right, if fact if I plug the courtesy lights wires into the BAT teremial the courtesy lights work as they should.

My issue is with the part of the fuse panel marked INST, LPS,and LAMPS. Fuse looks good; but who knows and I can’t find power anywhere.

I for the first time noticed the LPS is stamped in both spots. I should note again ALL instrument panel lamps appear to be working as they should. It’s just that darn connection marked LAMPS!

·
Premium Member
4,644 Posts
isn't the lps fuse powered by the headlight switch?
Yup. After it pulls power for the dash light circuit from the tail lamp fuse.

That's why you won't see any power unless the headlight switch is pulled out and the dimmer is fully rotated to the "brightest" position. (And as Dean stated, the tail lamp fuse must be good).

·
Premium Member
7,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Please note my above post as I have made a bunch of edits. Headlight switch works, I pull it all the way out and rotate the dimmer right and left. Dash lights and dimmer work as the should, maybe I didn’t rotate far enough, so back to the garage.

·
Premium Member
7,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all your help to this point, now there is power to the terminals marked LAMPS,LPS, and INST.

Now how do I hook up the courtesy lights? I don’t think it would be LAMPS or ACC, or IGH. That leaves BAT FUSED, is that the correct spot? Don’t want to mess something else up.

·
Premium Member
4,644 Posts
Thanks for all your help to this point, now there is power to the terminals marked LAMPS,LPS, and INST.

Now how do I hook up the courtesy lights? I don’t think it would be LAMPS or ACC, or IGH. That leaves BAT FUSED, is that the correct spot? Don’t want to mess something else up.
Yes. Courtesy circuit is hot at all times. Courtesy lights power comes from BAT fused.

·
Registered
66 chevelle
807 Posts
Also by the looks of your fuse panel you need to take some time and clean the rust on all the fuse contacts or replace the panel. IMHO 🤷‍♂️

·
Premium Member
7,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
An previous owner plug in the courtesy lights incorrectly. Then there is me. There are two LPS terminal that I did not notice until the other day, so I was getting interpreting thins incorrectly. Then there was me not knowing how the dimmer switch affected things. I want to thank everyone for being so patient with me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts