Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, i was driving around near midnight in the rain after friday night's football game. i couldnt see much on streets with few street lights. i decided i need brighter lights. i know i need to step up to halogens as i have a mix of old and new halogen/nonhalogen bulbs. but i think i need to clean up the sockets (female) that plug the lights into the harness. how can i clean this up? i will eventually replace the whole foward lamp harness but no $$ right now and this is my daily driver.

thanks in advance guys.

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Okay, I wasn't suppose to unveil this YET, but I suppose a sneak peak won't hurt even though it isn't ready...it should help you with your questions. P.S. I would appreciate feedback on this article of mine.

Joe

The Truth about Headlight Upgrades

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks joe. school is out early tomorrow so i'll come home and clean up my sockets as much as i can. i think my original harness is "up to snuff" its not really that bad. i'll also check out hte grounds at the radiator core or wherever they are. after i do all that cleaning i'll leave the alcohol to dry up several hours and hook the sockets back up and wait till the end of the week when i have enough $$ to buy the halogens. do a little clean up again, let it dry and hook the halogens up.

joe, i think your article is great. i loved it, well written in my point of view and i do know a bit about writing (journalism classes). i like how you showed different situations and how the halogen/T3style compared.

thanks a lot. i read yours/mr.muha/jerry's replies before and you guys were convincing but i never knew how to clean up the sockets. now i know.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Joe,

Do you have the diagram page done yet?

I cannot wait to read the complete article.

Thanks,
Theo.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Back when headlights weren't so bright, the legions of misadjusted beams were just annoying, now they are dangerous plus we got two or more extras. Rarely do any of the folks bother to dim their headlights when overtaking these days--too busy on the cell phone I guess. Can you believe that a backward-ass place like Saudi Arabia makes you get your ride inspected every two years and if your headlights are not adjusted correctly, you get to come back later and try again? Yep; but in a politically correct place like WA you find plenty 0f cars/trucks a couple of years old with one headlight pointing off towards outer space. Maybe I'm just being grouchy :D

My $0.02

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Nice article, Joe. I dug into the SAE handbooks yesterday and found a bit more info. The lamps are all tested at 12.8v, but if you look at charging system spec's, the "flat" regulated systems max out at 14.0v and the temperature compensated systems can go to 15.5v ( Probably when cold). So , if we have a volt of drop in the system, we could go as high as 14.5v at the lamp.
Ok, so I went to my car with 7 inch sealed beam halogens (Sylvania?) and had 14v at the battery and 12.0v on the lamp prong. Guess I better start cleaning some terminals!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts