Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd change my PS belt, so I loosened the bolt attached to the bracket, but the PS pump won't slide far enough to allow me to take off the belt. I thought this would be as easy as the alternator belt. What am I missing? As easy as this should be and as much as it is kicking my butt, maybe I should find a new hobby and just collect stamps........ Thanks for your help.

------------------

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
I think you have a big block and I'm not sure about the bracketry on them but for a small block their are 2 pivoting places, one at the top and one at the bottom. The one at the top has only a nut in the back. If that isn't it, I don't know what to tell you to get it back on but a knife could take it off.

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
Bob, there are usually 2 or more bolts to loosen to change the p/s belt, one or two in front and one on the back of the pump. One that goes through the w/p, one at the bracket and one on the back.

·
Registered
622 Posts
The current belt may have been "pried" on and may be too short.If there is some adjustment left when this belt is tight, perhaps try the next size longer (or 2 sizes) and see if it will still tighten.As Joe Y said, a knife will remove it.

------------------

·
Registered
336 Posts
The PS belt on my small block is hard to get off too, even with the pump pivoted all the way down.. maybe the belt is a size or two too small but with a screw driver it can be pried on/off..

and remember, there IS no other hobby.

mike reeh

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your assistance. Mission accomplished. Had to remove lower bolt on rear of bracket.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.