Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
because i think i might be having valve tran problems, it sounds like there knocking or something over the number 6 and 8 cylender or somewhere back there, the motor will be a year old in april andi havent used any nitrous or anything so it really couldnt be an internal knock...i just rev really high alot (6100 rl) when i take it out i ususally hot rod it often and such so could that just be that my valves need adjustment? any help would be appreciate thanks.

·
Registered
6,826 Posts
broken spring(s) ?
stud pulling up ?
worn rocker arm ?
bent pushrod ?

You better take the valve cover off and have a look.

Nate

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Do you have solid or hydraulic lifters?

Pull the valve cover and look to see if anything is burnt looking, bent or otherwise wrong.

Is this noise when the engine is cold only? If you have forged pistons you might be hearing piston slap.

------------------
Redrum (or Mike)
68 Corvette - 383 CI 427 HP
69 SS Chevelle being updated to Pro-Touring
97 Z-28

[This message has been edited by Redrum (edited 12-25-2001).]

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no i have hypernetcnic pistons and the valves sound like they are vibrating sometimes and, im pretty sure its a solid lifter motor... also it makes it when its warm too

·
Super Moderator
16,020 Posts
Valve train problems usually make a clicking or clacking sound. A knocking sound is more likely deeper in the motor. You could also have a wrist pin or rod journal problem in some of these cylinders. A knock can be a serious problem, you need to determine what it is quickly before you frag the whole motor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.